Cayman Aggressor Docked at Devil's Grotto to Offload Passengers in Rough Seas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cayman Aggressor has a slick new advertising video see the link below; it isn't anything like the experience folks were having in Grand Cayman harbor last Saturday!

The Cayman Aggressor has a slick new advertising video see the link below; it isn't anything like the experience folks were have in Grand Cayman harbor last Saturday!

This video has me looking for my credit card!

First video made me seasick!!! :confused: Well, it might have if I were on the CA.

Second video is getting me even more excited for April, not on the CA but land-based!

I was on the Cayman Aggressor V at the end of 2018 Cayman Aggressor V, November 24-December 1, 2018 It was OK, not great. The discount I got helped. I would generally do the Caymans land based. You certainly can get in a good number of dives, quantity vs. quality.

We did the previous Cayman Aggressor IV trip several years ago and it was great , one of our best-ever dive trips, but we had a good discounted price for the trip and we had perfect weather. We spent most of the time on Bloody Bay Wall off Little Cayman.

Prior to that I had only visited Grand Cayman and didn't fully appreciate all the different experiences that are available in the Cayman islands. Now we always spend time both on GC and also on one of the Sister Islands of either Brac or Little. I am grateful that the Aggressor trip helped to increase my awareness of the options.

I know that many question the wisdom of a Cayman Aggressor trip because the Cayman reefs start close to shore and you can do some great land-based boat diving, and shore-diving, in the Cayman Islands. But the LOB lets you easily do a lot of diving (4 to 5 dives a day) on some of the best locations around all 3 Cayman Islands.

The catch is that is true only if the weather cooperates. In rough or windy weather (about 25% of the time) you will be diving only off of GC - you can still do a lot of great diving - but in that case you might be more comfortable at a land-based venue. And of course, there is much more to do and enjoy topside on a land-based vacation when the diving conditions aren't the best.

I got very seasick during the crossing from GC to the Sister Islands even though the weather was calm. I have heard that the new CA V has a tendency to rock and roll and that makes me leery of even thinking about doing a deep-water crossing in her!

If someone asked my opinion about doing a trip on the Cayman Aggressor, I would say "go for it!" but just be aware that there are always a few risks that the trip won't be as ideal as hoped.

I am very glad that we did the Cayman Aggressor trip and I recognize that we got lucky, but now that we've done it, we are usually quite happy doing land-based dive trips to Cayman.

The conditions here really since before Christmas have not been ideal. There have been several pop up storms not big enough to be named but big enough to disrupt water ops etc. (ie 40 ft containers washed into the sea at GT port). I wouldn’t do a livaboard here unless it was an incredible deal. Dive sites are super close to the land. If there are issues one direction the boats can usually just go elsewhere. The livaboard option in The Galapagos was awesome, in a place like Cayman just seems like overkill anyway. And then if the weather craps out you are stuck with no options. Land based would be my choice.

Is it just me or did the CA boat look awfully tipsy, top heavy and/or would catch a lot of wind? Did not inspire confidence on how it would handle unexpected rough seas on a crossing.

Is it just me or did the CA boat look awfully tipsy, top heavy and/or would catch a lot of wind? Did not inspire confidence on how it would handle unexpected rough seas on a crossing.

I thought the same thing, it is a very spacious boat but just how stable is it? We had great diving weather when we were in GC and LC in Oct/Nov and we saw the CA V several times on the reefs off of LC - but on our trip home we met a couple at the airport that had just gotten off the Aggressor. They said they had a good trip but the wife complained about all the rocking and rolling - and that was in nice weather! Since I am prone to seasickness that didn't sound very enticing to me!

It rolls around like crazy , I did the crossing on a fairly flat day and it rocked more than the previous ship did in rough seas , If you are prone to seasickness avoid .

Back
Top Bottom