My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said it was.

I know for a lot of instructors in my area it absolutely is.

I wasn't trying to bash, but was simply confirming something I couldn't remember. I have been following Marie13 and her progress for quiet a while now between her to threads here and on facebook.
I ask a lot of genuine questions, I didn’t imply you said something.

I ask a lot of genuine questions, I didn’t imply you said something.

I couldn’t tell if you were asking if ITT was required before AN/DP or if valve drill was required for ITT.

I couldn’t tell if you were asking if ITT was required before AN/DP or if valve drill was required for ITT.
I have to improve my valve drill. I can reach all posts but I found out when someone videoed me that I move my torso up and my legs down while reaching for the posts.

I have to improve my valve drill. I can reach all posts but I found out when someone videoed me that I move my torso up and my legs down while reaching for the posts.

My instructor said nearly everyone needs some sort of remedial work when first starting AN/DP.

Good enough works for me. I don’t have the obsession with needs to be perfect. This gets me to see fabulous deeper wrecks, not to model perfect trim, etc. I’m into practical, not pretty. If it works, that’s good enough for me.

My instructor said nearly everyone needs some sort of remedial work when first starting AN/DP.

Good enough works for me. I don’t have the obsession with needs to be perfect. This gets me to see fabulous deeper wrecks, not to model perfect trim, etc. I’m into practical, not pretty. If it works, that’s good enough for me.
Believe it or not it's really not about looking good or being perfect. It's about being able to maintain control of your bouyancy and situational awareness so that if you need to deal with a problem in the real world you don't worsen the situation by dropping off into the abyss or rocketing to the surface. As long as "good enough" achieves those goals safely then it will good enough.
:)

Believe it or not it's really not about looking good or being perfect. It's about being able to maintain control of your bouyancy and situational awareness so that if you need to deal with a problem in the real world you don't worsen the situation by dropping off into the abyss or rocketing to the surface. As long as "good enough" achieves those goals safely then it will good enough.
:)

I was comparing to GUE. I’ve seen a number of posts from people that they spent quite a bit of time to get up to GUE standards. Screw that. Seems like perfect is the goal there, not “good enough” that gets the job done. If you want to get obsessive about it, have at. I’d rather stick a fork in my eye.

I was comparing to GUE. I’ve seen a number of posts from people that they spent quite a bit of time to get up to GUE standards. Screw that. Seems like perfect is the goal there, not “good enough” that gets the job done. If you want to get obsessive about it, have at. I’d rather stick a fork in my eye.

I realize the GUE comparison is getting off topic, but the way this idea of striving for perfection was explained to me was that you simply want to "stack the odds in your favor." When the excrement hits the rotating ventilation device, and you're reaching for valves and such, the odds of you getting it under control before some secondary issue arises are tilted ever so slightly higher in your favor if your trim and buoyancy remain better than what in most circumstances might be "good enough."

Being aware is being perfect. you don’t need perfect trim to be aware and manage your positioning. You just have to be in control.

I realize the GUE comparison is getting off topic, but the way this idea of striving for perfection was explained to me was that you simply want to "stack the deck in your favor." When the excrement hits the rotating ventilation device, and you're reaching for valves and such, the odds of you getting it under control before some secondary issue arises are tilted ever so slightly higher in your favor if your trim and buoyancy remain better than what in most circumstances might be "good enough."

Another version of this might be:
When you are only "good enough" under easy perfect conditions, what do you look like when the dive is going massively sideways? When trim goes to hell, silt comes up, perceptions get super narrow, problems don't get solved etc etc.
What you look like day to day is only a hint of your stressed performance which really should be the threshold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom