My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You took intro to tech before starting AN/DP/Helitrox, right?

So by default you should know how to properly, and consistently do a valve drill... unless you're saying you passed through ITT without mastering a skill..

It was very difficult. After additional time in the water, I realized the issue was the neck ring. That issue has now been resolved.

Is it a requirement for these classes ?

I never said it was.

I know for a lot of instructors in my area it absolutely is.

I wasn't trying to bash, but was simply confirming something I couldn't remember. I have been following Marie13 and her progress for quiet a while now between her to threads here and on facebook.

Is it a requirement for these classes ?

Good question. I get the impression TDI's Intro-To-Tech isn't like GUE's Fundies tech-level training. ITT teaches you how you're supposed do the skills so you can go off and practice on your own until you believe you're good enough; a Fundies tech pass is GUE's stamp of approval that you're good enough that they will allow you to start tech training with them. Different philosophies.

FWIW, I'm STILL working toward achieving the GUE-acceptable valve drill. Neck seal had nothing to do with my issues. There is always room for improvement. Keep on practicing!

I never said it was.

I know for a lot of instructors in my area it absolutely is.

I wasn't trying to bash, but was simply confirming something I couldn't remember. I have been following Marie13 and her progress for quiet a while now between her to threads here and on facebook.

Who the hell are you?

Good question. I get the impression TDI's Intro-To-Tech isn't like GUE's Fundies tech-level training. ITT teaches you how you're supposed do the skills so you can go off and practice on your own until you believe you're good enough; a Fundies tech pass is GUE's stamp of approval that you're good enough that they will allow you to start tech training with them. Different philosophies.

FWIW, I'm STILL working toward achieving the GUE-acceptable valve drill. Neck seal had nothing to do with my issues. There is always room for improvement. Keep on practicing!

To get a tech pass from fundies all you need to do is meet the absolute minimum criteria of just being able to do the skills.
According to my instructor the requirement to do the skills at a level where you are very comfortable doing them was removed, and all you need to pass a skill is basically to just barely pull it off.
For a non-tech pass you are not even required to pass some skills.
Being told that being able to do a back kick wasn't even requirement for a rec pass was a shocker for me.
Didn't discuss with my instructor what other skills you could skip out on for a rec pass but a lot of oldschool GUE divers I've talked to were also pretty surprised by the above...

On the neck ring issue, it can be extremely limiting if you're not broad over the shoulders.
One of my (shorter) buddies can't reach his valves unless I help him by breaking his arms, he hates his neck ring more than his ex wife.
Good call having it removed.

To get a tech pass from fundies all you need to do is meet the absolute minimum criteria of just being able to do the skills.
According to my instructor the requirement to do the skills at a level where you are very comfortable doing them was removed, and all you need to pass a skill is basically to just barely pull it off.
Being told that being able to do a back kick wasn't even requirement for a rec pass was a shocker for me.
Didn't discuss with my instructor what other skills you could skip out on for a rec pass but a lot of oldschool GUE divers I've talked to were also pretty surprised by the above...
Maybe something changed since? That's absolutely not my personal experience or the experience of folks I know who took Fundies a few months ago. All this occurred before the last conference.

Maybe something changed since? That's absolutely not my personal experience or the experience of folks I know who took Fundies a few months ago. All this occurred before the last conference.
I did my course half a year ago and what I wrote is what my instructor told me during the course.
This thread is not the place to further discuss that though.

I haven't heard that from the instructors I've gotten coaching from, and the published standards have not changed as far as I can see. Unless something has indeed changed from the published standards, for a tech pass you still have to not only do all the skills but do them while maintaining approximately "a maximum of 20 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 3 ft/1 m of a target depth." (For a rec pass it's "30 degrees off horizontal while remaining within 5 ft/1.5 m of a target depth.") It's easy to do a valve drill, S-drill, etc., while hovering above a platform, but it's not easy to consistently do it in more or less mid-water while maintaining that depth and trim window. You let your knees drop, and BLAM, not good enough. :( Same for staged ascents (the so-called minimum deco ascent), where you have to hit your target depths within the windows. I cannot imagine this has recently changed.

FWIW, mastery of the back kick has never been required for a rec pass: "Demonstrate three propulsion techniques, including comprehension of the components necessary for a successful backward kick."

I did my course half a year ago and what I wrote is what my instructor told me during the course.
This thread is not the place to further discuss that though.

I'd say it's Marie's call. Would be glad to delete it as OT if Marie wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom