SSI->Padi Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyDogIsDoug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have SSI Instructor certification and have an opportunity to work the summer - but will need to be PADI certified.

I've gotten several different stories on what I need to do to become PADI certified - economically. Some have said I need to take the entire PADI course, others say there are 3-day courses.

Any feedback/insights would be appreciated.

you have to take the OWSI course and attend and pass an IE. PADI Instructor Development Course that said the PADI IDC is currently being revamped with a cutover happening this year, so it depends on where you go what they will teach, assuming you do the IE before Nov 2020.

PADI has no real "crossover" and there is no such thing as economical and PADI

Honestly, I'd recommend against the crossover unless you have longer term goals that are PADI related. There is a real possibility that you won't make your money back in just one summer, in that case it's probably not the best investment.

I have at different times instr feet’s from NASDS ssi now PADI. Have found that with Padi most opportunities to find work. I recommend going with whatever agency you will find work with. I have made more $$$$ with Padi than the other agencies

PADI IDC is currently being revamped with a cutover happening this year, so it depends on where you go what they will teach, assuming you do the IE before Nov 2020.

sorry if i misunderstood......are you saying that later this year, padi will be releasing a new program allowing other agency instructors to crossover to padi without having to go through the padi instructor program and ie etc ?

sorry if i misunderstood......are you saying that later this year, padi will be releasing a new program allowing other agency instructors to crossover to padi without having to go through the padi instructor program and ie etc ?

There will not be a crossover. The new program refers to skill requirements and standards. Neutral buoyant skills is one change.

in light of the response above.....to answer the original question.....you will need to attend a padi IDC. it is my understanding you would not have to attend for as long as say someone who is entering the course as a divemaster. but you could if you choose to.
if you are confident on your knowledge and skills then you could save some time and money by only attending the mandatory classes and then take the exam and evaluation.
if however, you have the money and the time, you could opt to join in the entire class. depends on what you want and what you can afford i guess.
i also have considered getting my padi instr so if i ever was able to retire and teach part time in a vacation destination, it would be more likely i find employment. i had decided that if i was to do this, i would take the whole course along with all the other (i assume MUCH younger haha) divers to get the full experience. i think it would also look better on a resume. it shows you were not looking for any short cuts.
for example.....when i did my evaluation etc for ssi, i attended a special clinic being offered in grand cayman. i was not obligated to attend any of the extra group meetings / seminars etc, but i did. and i learned a lot. it also showed my instructor that i was not looking for a quick certification. i was eager to take part in any extra training that i could while i was there. i think that went a long way in proving how dedicated i was to becoming the best instructor i could be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom