Photographers Using Doughnut BP/W BCD (dump valve location)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sort of like the Outlaw

Thank you very much Nemrod, that is a nice looking option. I like the loop fixing points as I use carabiners all over and it is set for integrated - looks lightweight - I will explore. I absolutely want a doughnut bladder - no horseshoe style for me as I get air left in the 'lee' side if dumping head level/down.

Hey @gummybun (What kinda name is that anyway?)

HaHa, I don't know, 'stoo' what were we thinking! if it unsettles you, call me Simon, but just don't call me Shirly!

No worries about the other stuff, it has all been useful. Belize is great, been twice now, you must have been staying offshore, Turneffe?

I put together a variant of this today for my rig. Still need to find one more boltsnap to add to it.
So the assembly at the tray base is a version of the composition posted by doc and others here, but the additional boltclips across the handle strap are for what? - to separate and clip the assemble to a ring at chest level? For stowage or both clips across your chest? I am not sure I understand what this does for you - can you elaborate for me?

So the assembly at the tray base is a version of the composition posted by doc and others here, but the additional boltclips across the handle strap are for what? - to separate and clip the assemble to a ring at chest level? For stowage or both clips across your chest? I am not sure I understand what this does for you - can you elaborate for me?
Acts as a single handle for handing up on the boat, but splits and connects to both d rings for times when a more secure connection is needed for shore entries, etc. I may go back to a single rope/get rid of it all together if the docs solution works better for me.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-22-at-7-15-42-PM.png

Forgive me for manipulating the post to save bandwidth. Please, DocMike, do you know what size double ender bolts snap that is. Mine seems to catch on the handles, I think perhaps too small (4 inch). I have never folded the arms this way due to my previous cameras being more compact, I would just tuck the strobes under the tray but this may work better for my new camera.

James

I have my new camera rigged much as my previous. The blue tether screws into a 1/4X20 tripod socket in the base of the housing and has a rubber O-ring to act as a compression washer to prevent unscrewing, it has a welded ring and a swivel. This tether remains attached to my scooter/crotch D-ring for the duration of the dive and until (and if) I hand it up to the deck. I usually jump in with the camera in hand. The short (orange) paracord tether and bolt snap are used to clip my camera to my scooter/crotch D-ring so that I can have my hands free for whatever reason. The quick links on each handle are to secure the lanyard handle that I carry (when not in use) clipped off on my harness on my waist right side D-ring, this for the deck crew to have a way to lift/hold and carry the camera. The quick links also are used to attach a pair of double enders that I usually stow on my right chest D-ring and under a rubber band. If I need to secure the camera to my chest, lens outward, with three point security (actually four point), perhaps to deal with an emergency or more likely to climb the ladder with the camera so secured, I can do so with good security and control of the camera. I also carry the lens cover to install prior to handing off to the deck crew or climbing the ladder to protect the dome. Jumping in and coming out, I tuck the strobes down and under the tray and cinch the clamps down snug. And back to what started all of this, double handles or not, I use my left hand to carry the camera and the right hand to work the controls and trigger the shutter. I swap hands as needed to operate or adjust dive equipment or other minor tasks.

IMG-0401.jpg

IMG-0398.jpg

James

Forgive me for manipulating the post to save bandwidth. Please, DocMike, do you know what size double ender bolts snap that is. Mine seems to catch on the handles, I think perhaps too small (4 inch). I have never folded the arms this way due to my previous cameras being more compact, I would just tuck the strobes under the tray but this may work better for my new camera.

James

Cant' remember, that was a while ago. I use one of these now...

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 10.48.12 PM.png

Cant' remember, that was a while ago. I use one of these now...

View attachment 569808

Thanks, no worries on the double ender, looks like a 4.5 inch. I have the same or similar lanyard though mine is a bit longer. I multipurpose mine, usually used clipped on the handles as in my pic for lifting the camera at the end of a dive. You use the "M" arm configuration, I guess I do as well, but going back a few years I went from an 8 inch and a 4 inch arm set in the classic M to a single 8 inch or 10 inch arm with the Inon strobe adapter serving as the outer arm alone. I find myself okay with that for everything but the widest shots and to tell the truth, I do not have the strobe power for that super wide configuration. For CFWA, I like my strobes in closer, behind my lens/dome and pointed to or just off the near primary subject and it works okay for macro too. I may have to revisit that thinking now with a new camera, especially if I upgrade to Z330 or (shhhh, I will not even mention it to my wife, Retra).

I have not used it in several years (like maybe 20), somewhere I have an Oceanic tray with two Oceanic telescoping arms and two Oceanic strobes that I kept after I sold off my last Nikonos. I adapted it to an Ikelite housing and Oly 5050 with Inon UWL100/dome (same one in the pic above). Anyways, the arms not only telescoped but also swiveled. It was much easier to compact the rig than the arms we use today with the butterfly clamps.

James

Belize is great, been twice now, you must have been staying offshore, Turneffe?

Yup love it there. We dove Turneffe for a few years, but we've moved further out to Lighthouse Reef Atoll. I was there two weeks ago and I'm heading back in three more! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom