3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how warm do you want the enclosure to be?
I haven't actually measured on mine (it isn't super sealed), and It just allows the heated bed to warm that air. If I had to guess, it's probable bout 85-90 in there, but I only run the bed at 90 (not the 100 some use). I'll do a quick google run and see what I see.

v/r

James

edit to add: quick bit of research says passive heating (bed only) will bring the enclosure temp to ball park of 35-40 C (not far off my 85-90 F guess on mine). Serious optimizing seems to call for active heating, with ABS looking for around 60 to 80 C. But that brings in serious increase in design effort, and draft elimination.

simple version from my perspective; passive heating made a marked improvement in my ABS prints, but more gains can be made with more effort. YMMV.

I never, ever leave the printer unattended. I never, ever, leave the printer printing during the night. Not only the noise, but a lot of problems could appear. I try not to print things that require more than 10 hours.

I basically only print unattended, but I'm using machines I trust (and I know can handle things like un-controlled heater run-away with no serious damage).

Plus I'm not going to hang about for the 20+ hour prints. Not that I do many of those any more.

Keep your electronics out of the enclosure.

Petg is easy to print with. I print petg with the same settings as pla except for the temperature.

Ohh and it sticks to the bed really, really, really well.

PET will quite happily rip chunks out of the surface of the glass. Its great in many ways, but can get expensive if you are not careful with your bed!

Hmmm, makes me wonder if I should go back to the tests I did long ago on granite beds....

I basically only print unattended, but I'm using machines I trust (and I know can handle things like un-controlled heater run-away with no serious damage).

Plus I'm not going to hang about for the 20+ hour prints. Not that I do many of those any more.

PET will quite happily rip chunks out of the surface of the glass. Its great in many ways, but can get expensive if you are not careful with your bed!

Hmmm, makes me wonder if I should go back to the tests I did long ago on granite beds....
My taz has some coating on it... I've seen some of the YouTube videos where print beds get destroyed.

If it was easier to do, I'd swap my pei bed for a magnetic removable bed.

If it was easier to do, I'd swap my pei bed for a magnetic removable bed.

The build-tac flex plate system (well, if you replace the plastic base with a milled aluminium one) is a massive quality of life improvement.

Its a shame that with the milled base its rather expensive. But I'm never going back... (well, we'll see how the granite pans out).

The trigger for my camera tray didn't quite fit the way I wanted, so I whipped one up in Catia and had my brother SLA it rather than fdm it on my printer.

received_641292176625452.jpeg

My next challenge: exhaust valve cover for a SI Tech drysuit valve. I think enough of it is intact to pull accurate measurements from.

Attachments

• E79B97EE-E87E-4BD3-9382-6E9BF8179D6C.jpeg
    E79B97EE-E87E-4BD3-9382-6E9BF8179D6C.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 111
Joining printer crowd late, but ordered an ended 3 pro this morning. I’ve had a friend print off a few things but now will do my own - hopefully! I have a battery holder similar to the chairman’s only 9 battery, 3s3p. After finding tinker and has a bug in centering some shapes, I’ll be picking up version two tomorrow to see if that fixed my alignment issue.. pics soon...

I really need to get into 3D printing....

yeah everyone needs a hobby that has countless upgrade options! I don’t have the printer yet but have one upgrade on order and (so I’m told) will want a few more to have really nice setup. Seems I heard something similar back in ‘93 when I took up another hobby frequently discussed on SB. Multiple sets of gear later, a dozen plus tanks, and a room full of supplies and tools later...maybe I do have a problem....

Back
Top Bottom