Kubi dry gloves...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wrote silicone whistle...my brain still interpreted this as : silicone wrist seal.

Ops! Ahah.. yes, just leave the inner glove under it, so it won't seal around your wrist and you'll be fine. Sometime I leave the elastic of my undergarments (the one you normally place around your thumb to not have slipping out while wearing the drysuit arm piece) under it as well to create some additional air flow.

Showa 720s are nitrile, not pvc. They are warmer and stretchier than pvc gloves.
SHOWA 720R | Showa Gloves
I found the 720Rs very easy to damage and aquasure does not stick as well as on 660s they are both thicker than the marigolds normally used with Kubi rings, but they are wormer and will puncture instead of tearing

Online searching for gloves is easy- I saw those 720's- but what is crucial for me now is the thickness - I need my dexterity back. Ill be testing out a few. I might just go wild and order the $300 Kubi set.

The orange gloves are thinner than the blue smurfs, so I'd gain some tactile sense there- and lose a bit of abrasion resistance. I mean seriously; I can hardly work a bolt snap now w/ my current thick blue gloves...it's ridiculous.

I used the blue smurfs and orange gloves for years while manipulating the buttons on my camera housing. The 720s are thinner but stronger and stretchier than the pvc gloves. They are also warmer. I wear the 4thElement Xerotherm glove liners but there are divers who go without liners down to 30°.

I've had my Kubi gloves for almost 3 years now. The first 1.5 years or so I had the suit side rings that just clamp onto existing suit seals. Then, I sent my suit off to Dive Right in Scuba and has the Kubi permanent rings installed on the suit.

In all that time, my hands have only gotten wet once. That was after right at a full year, when I finally got a pinhole in one of my gloves - the Ansell G17Ks that cost about $2/pair, by the way.

For sizing, I printed out the template of rings that Kubi has on their site and used it to cut holes in a piece of cardboard. That allowed me to determine that 80mm rings would work for me. I'm 6'1" and in motorcycle gloves, I usually wear size L - sometimes XL, depending on the glove.

I use SmartWool glove liners or the Pinnacle Merino wool liners, depending on how cold the water is. Those, with the G17K gloves give excellent dexterity.

I ordered a new Seaskin drysuit last week and ordered it with the Kubi rings installed on the suit. They are not cheap but they are totally worth it, to me.

Anyone want to educate me on the Kubi vs Ultima dry glove decision, please? I used to have the Diving Concepts dry glove rings, which I loved. I mounted those on silicone wrist seals [with Zip Seal attachment] on my DUI suit which I have now.

Cost is a factor for me...

DRIS in Chicagoland did the Kubi install. I was happy with them. Even happier with the Kubi. 3 years in and still running the G17k gloves. 50° water and smart wool liners for up to 2 hours. Don't know the Ultima system, few I know run the Kubi and are happy. Side note to that, we all picked the Kubi without knowing the others were also running them.

There are other alternatives.

I put up a YouTube video on this. It does not cover the Kubi rings, but they are similar to the ultima system. The ultima system is based on an older system, I believe the diving concepts system. The rolocks are actually much better.

There are other alternatives.

I put up a YouTube video on this. It does not cover the Kubi rings, but they are similar to the ultima system. The ultima system is based on an older system, I believe the diving concepts system. The rolocks are actually much better.

Thanks for the video. I had not heard of rolock. Now another one to consider. I'm watching the video for installation on DGX (Rolock 3 - Ring System Kit | Dive Gear Express®).

I have a DUI suit with zip seals. My gloves are starting to leak and I'm looking for another system. Could I use the zip seals to mount the ring?

EDIT: I did find your post here: Rolock dry glove system review and modification

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom