"New" tanks, first HP, how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
I was picking up my regs today and asked my lds if they had any used hp100 steel. They had several a few months ago but I didn't have any play cash so I missed out. Anyway a couple minutes of digging and, no "they're the toughest ones to find used". Not a big surprise. Anyway I mention im looking for a little extra air since I have to keep up with my 13 year old daughter and we usually dive steel 72.

"You use the old 72s? How do you like them?" Quite a bit actually.
"Check these out, they belong to my buddy. "

And he brings out a pair of old steel pst 95 "high pressure" 3000psi. They're 02 clean, 3 years left on hydro and as long as you dont need them right now I'll do a new vip and fill tonight.

So I picked them up today. $300 otd for the pair. They're not exactly what I was looking for but it seems like a pretty reasonable compromise for the price. Sherwood valves and nothing a coat of cold galvanize to match my other 4 wont take care of.

So good deal? They feel heavier than my 72s, I might be almost leadless this summer. I usually dive sans wetsuit.

If they are 7" diameter and 21" tall without the boot or valve then they're MP72s

But if it’s 7” in diameter and around 25” tall they are NP 95s.

As an aside, if one saw an old steel 72, an MP95, and an HP 100 across the room I’m betting one couldn’t tell which was which.

The tank list you give is not complete, no tank spec list I’ve ever seen is not complete. There are a lot of older steel tanks that don’t make the lists, including the old steel 72 which was the predominant tank for decades.

But if it’s 7” in diameter and around 25” tall they are NP 95s.

As an aside, if one saw an old steel 72, an MP95, and an HP 100 across the room I’m betting one couldn’t tell which was which.

The tank list you give is not complete, no tank spec list I’ve ever seen is not complete. There are a lot of older steel tanks that don’t make the lists, including the old steel 72 which was the predominant tank for decades.
I didnt see a height reported but maybe I missed it

I didnt see a height reported but maybe I missed it

In the link there was, but @Nathan Doty didn't give a height, hence our use of if.

I wanted to point out the spec sheets are lacking when it comes to identifying tanks.

20200308_222812.jpg
20200308_222757.jpg

Left 95, right 72, definite weight difference. 44 vs 36 full. If I was just looking at them, no way I'd guess they arent both 72. I might be close to weightless with the 95.

Are the tank markings on the neck visible on the 95s? If so can you post pics of the markings? I've never heard of 3000 psi 95s. Might help someone searching in the future. Very interesting how they look just like the 72s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom