Deep stop hand signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been taught to indicate move up with a hand flat facing down and moving upwards, but in a half circle towards me. you should discuss this before the dive as I don’t think it’s a signal that everyone does the same way or know.
What you were taught? Not really very compelling. It is like inventing your own language....

@DiveTucson Would you please explain why you don't think it's appropriate? Or is there any theory to support not doing so?
Perhaps, a better question, in 2020, would be, 'Is there any theory, more specifically, any actual data, to support doing so?' The original basis for doing a 'deep stop' was anecdotal, not data-driven. Subsequent data supporting the practice has been, at best, ambiguous, and the best available information does not offer any particular support for doing a 'deep stop', where you are continuing to on-gas nitrogen. A slow, continuous ascent is a better alternative.

You would signal move up and indicate a depth.

I have been taught to indicate move up with a hand flat facing down and moving upwards, but in a half circle towards me. you should discuss this before the dive as I don’t think it’s a signal that everyone does the same way or know.

Move up in one minute to 18m would be:
  • One
  • Move up
  • Then OK to ask my buddy to OK me back
Once you are there just signal that you are doing x minutes stop.

I don’t think there is a signal for deep stops. Whether you want to do deep stops or not is another topic.
I realize this probably isn't a convenient source in the UK but there is a standard language. Especially in technical diving where anything other than a safety stop is required. (deep or not)
Book - Cave Diving Communications - NSS CDS

I have been taught to indicate move up with a hand flat facing down and moving upwards, but in a half circle towards me.

What you were taught? Not really very compelling. It is like inventing your own language....

Isn't this the standard signal to advance to the next stop depth?

Isn't this the standard signal to advance to the next stop depth?
I didn’t realise it is standard across all agencies.

I think it is worth clarifying as it is a signal that not everybody will know, unless they do deco stops.

But wouldn’t that be the one to use if you want to say that you want to move to a particular depth to stop (in this case for a deep stop) ?

Not if I understand correctly what he described.
Well chances are that I just described it incorrectly ...

I meant standard across all agencies, not any standard, but I may be wrong regardless.
There is a standard for cave and technical diving - the best source for that is the NSS book I linked.

BlueTrin was referring to the signal GUE teaches to move up to the next stop depth.

However, once you arrive there, you signal deco with a raised pinky finger, followed by the pointer raised for 1 (or whichever number signal), which should be returned by the teammate(s).

Or probably a more standard recreational signal is to wave a flat hand palm down a few times to signal maintaining depth followed by a number signal for the length of time.

As a recreational diver, I don't know how to plan deep stop before a dive. I always follow my computer's instructions underwater.

Nohappy,

I’m not an instructor so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Deep stops are a decompression technique, something that is outside the recreational rubric of no decompression limit diving and not an essential principle or procedure underpinned by the World Recreational SCUBA Training Council. Deep stops are normally associated with technical diving and have undergone much debate lately. I don’t think trying to integrate them into a recreational dive profile is likely to be met with much support or endorsement by recreational dive educators and leaders.

Out of curiosity, how did you come under the impression that you need to incorporate deep stops in your recreational dive profile?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom