Deep stop hand signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
How do you make a deep stop hand signal?
For example, telling your dive buddy that you're going to a do a deep stop at certain depth for a certain duration.

Probably the same one for a normal stop.

Level off, and then do the stop signal for the time.
exactly
same as any stop

hand back and forth horizontally flat palm down = stop depth here
pinkie raised = deco
forefinger raised vertically with palm facing buddy = 1 + any added fingers for more minutes

I guess the bigger question is why would you want to

Thanks for everyone's respond. As a recreational diver, I don't know how to plan deep stop before a dive. I always follow my computer's instructions underwater. I know how to plan maximum depth or dive time according to NDL by PLAN mode in my computer, but I don't know how to read deep stop duration or depth before a dive. Would you mind to teach me or provide an article or something for me? @jale That will be very kind of you. Thank you.

Thanks for everyone's respond. As a recreational diver, I don't know how to plan deep stop before a dive. I always follow my computer's instructions underwater. I know how to plan maximum depth or dive time according to NDL by PLAN mode in my computer, but I don't know how to read deep stop duration or depth before a dive. Would you mind to teach me or provide an article or something for me? @jale That will be very kind of you. Thank you.

In my opinion you should not being deep stops at all. Unless your computer tells you to and will lock you out if you don’t.

There are lots of problems with deep stops. Better to spend an extra few minutes on your safety stop after a deeper NDL dive than to complete any sort of deep stop.

Just want to make it clear again. I'm talking about "deep stop", not "deco stop". And my question is how to hand signal "deep stop".

Just want to make it clear again. I'm talking about "deep stop", not "deco stop". And my question is how to hand signal "deep stop".

And my answer above applies to that. I was referring to a “deep” stop on a recreational dive. Nothing to do with deco at all.

The hand signal is waving the hand in a flat motion at the level you want often followed by the depth by signaling the number you want to hold at.

however my above statement still applies about deep stops on a non deco recreational dive.

@DiveTucson Thank you. Would you please explain why you don't think it's appropriate? Or is there any theory to support not doing so?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom