Any RX100 VII field reports w/ Nauticam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's a little disheartening (and surprising) to hear you have to zoom to 35mm to eliminate vignetting with the WWL-1, because I believe the WWL-1 has a fairly large diameter rear element, even compared to the Inon UWL-H100 (which I own). This implies the vignetting issue would be even worse with the Inon.

My understanding was Nauticam said the WWL-1 would work with cameras zoomed to 28mm, and their bayonet short port was the proper length to allow this to happen. Seems I heard wrong.

My Inon wide angle lens is their bayonet LD style, and I also have their bayonet style diopter. To use them, I have a 67mm to LD bayonet adapter on the camera port. When one lens is in use, the other is riding in one of two lens holders on my strobe arms, and it's fairly easy to swap back and forth during a dive. My hope was that the N50 short port with 67mm thread would let me use my Inon wide angle in the 35mm (or less) range, but it now sounds like I'd have to zoom to something more than 40mm, which begins to be a non-starter.

The H100 is an older design meant for 28mm lenses. It's going to vignette a lot more than the WWL which effectively is about 25mm or so. You cannot use bayonet adapters without it becoming much worse.

Well, I would suggest you to go for the new Nauticam wide angle designed for compact cameras (WWL-C)... Apparently is designed to work with 24mm lens... Also smaller and a bit cheaper and has the float incorporated... If I had to buy one now, I would definitely go for that one instead of the WWL-1.

Wet Wide Lens for Compact Cameras (WWL-C) ~130 Deg. FOV with Compatible 24mm Lenses

Just checked back some old pics with the nauticam WWL-1, is 28mm zoom, not 35mm.... (RX magnification factor is 2.7 --> 10.83x2.7= 29.2mm). As you can see the attached image, is not cropped.

WA.png

Sorry for the confusion....

Well, I would suggest you to go for the new Nauticam wide angle designed for compact cameras (WWL-C)... Apparently is designed to work with 24mm lens... Also smaller and a bit cheaper and has the float incorporated... If I had to buy one now, I would definitely go for that one instead of the WWL-1.

Wet Wide Lens for Compact Cameras (WWL-C) ~130 Deg. FOV with Compatible 24mm Lenses

Just checked back some old pics with the nauticam WWL-1, is 28mm zoom, not 35mm.... (RX magnification factor is 2.7 --> 10.83x2.7= 29.2mm). As you can see the attached image, is not cropped.

View attachment 569143

Sorry for the confusion....

Ok, thanks for the clarification, that helps somewhat. I have the Nauticam housing for the Panasonic LX10, and I'm unhappy with it for multiple reasons, one of which is how much the lens needs to be zoomed with the Inon UWL-H100. The Fisheye Fix LD adapter does a good job of getting the Inon's rear element fairly close to the port glass (~1-2mm) but I still need to go well over 35mm to stop vignetting.

With the N50 short port for the Nauticam RX100 VII housing, I was hoping I could use the Inon lens in the low 30mm range, and your last reply gives me some hope.

Nauticam's website talks about the new bayonet port and the WWL-C lens, but the usable zoom range for the RX100 VII housing still reads "TBD". If it's anything like the range for the VI, which is listed as 24mm-50mm, that would be disappointing at the long end, because swapping out to use diopters would only offer modest close ups. The N50 with threaded port allows a range of 24-70mm, where the extra zoom could make a difference for anyone wanting to do wide angle and semi-macro on the same dive.

Nauticam advertises the N50 port with the bayonet system, claiming that you can easily swap the WWL-1 with the CMC-1 diopter (you can get the bayonet adapter for the Inon and CMC-1, or just screw them directly to the port). You can consider to test the CMC-1... Is very powerful and you can overcome to the limitation of 70mm zoom.

Personally I don't swap in the same dive as the WWL-1 is a monster and is difficult to carry it when not attached to the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom