good value travel reg recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good, sound advice, with the exception that the OP specified No Huish branded gear.
Lol... I missed that! Well, I guess that leaves my recommendation for the Titan. I'm not a big fan of the Micron. It delivers plenty of gas, but IMO it breathes too abruptly and mechanically.

It might be worth looking into Mares too. They have a huge international distribution.
There are some great breathing, lightweight regs out there, that come standard with flex hoses. Go with something tried and true.

I'm not a big fan of the Micron. It delivers plenty of gas, but IMO it breathes too abruptly and mechanically.

I share your opinion on the Mikron. It seems to me that smaller second stages need, by nature, to be more sensitive than larger models because they tend to have a shorter lever (less mechanical advantage) and a smaller diaphragm surface area (less force acting upon the lever). Thus they tend to be more finicky to adjust, are more prone to freeflowing and seem be on/off with little modulation. I'd be interested to hear from experts as to whether my suppositions are true.

As for the perceived weight of the second stage in water, I am pretty sure they are pretty much all neutral or buoyant regardless of size or materials because they are filled with air.

Did you look at the Apexs XL4 model? Light with flex hoses and confo mouth piece..

Did you look at the Apexs XL4 model? Light with flex hoses and confo mouth piece..
It looks nice, except for the limitation of only 1 HP port.

False, the new XL4+ (White) has 2 hp ports. The original black has only one.
Right, I was just going to edit my post, but you beat me to it.

Right, I was just going to edit my post, but you beat me to it.

I own the original black, I don’t mind only 1 HP for recreational and travel diving. My first stage is loaded because of my dry suit. If I would have had the choice then I would have gone 2 HP (xl4+). Still not sold on white though.

My wife likes her Apeks Flight set. The 1st stage and 2nd /octo are very compact & lightweight and there are 2 HP ports. The exhaust ports are wide so no bubble interference. Comes with comfo bite mouthpiece & flexi hoses.
It needs special tools to service them but not a problem if you have an Apeks service centre nearby. The service packs are no more expensive than other Apeks service packs, and cheaper than many other brands, at least here in the UK anyway.
Cheers, Rob

I own the original black, I don’t mind only 1 HP for recreational and travel diving. My first stage is loaded because of my dry suit. If I would have had the choice then I would have gone 2 HP (xl4+). Still not sold on white though.

For a pretty penny, it's Apeks, you can swap out the white parts to the XL4 black parts. I priced it out a while ago and although don't remember the exact cost I do recall an abrupt increase in heart rate. It seems vanity comes at a price, well, I know it does, it's cost me over the years.

Back
Top Bottom