Dive Paradise or Tres Pelicanos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would STRONGLY recommend a private DM
This! Money well spent. DAN Dive Insurance is as well. Got a plastic bottle of Swimmers Ear? I make my own with half vinegar and half 50% alcohol plus a squirt of glycerin, but the over the counter stuff works. I use it after every dive and shower so that I don't go home, come down with an ear infection, and end up in the office of any doctor that will see me on the verge of tears.

I read that thread thru post 70. I was amazed that it lasted that long, but I see it's at 150?! o_O

As a newbie, you'd be fine with either. Diving with the on site Op has a lot of value.

you will enjoy either one you choose for sure. we have used dive paradise but not 3 p yet, but know they come highly recommended. I believe you would most likely enjoy the onsite operator pier pickup most for obvious reasons.also you should know that many ops will also pick you up at that pier without hassle. we will also be there in april with hotel coz but we dive with dive with martin. so many good shops to chose from and you will enjoy many. what dates will you be there?

So much more convenient to go with the onsite dive op. Removes a level of stress from your trip and DP is an outstanding operation too. I’ve used them - totally satisfied.

Thank you all for the replies and advice. I think I will just go for the convenience that Dive Paradise offers. Prices seem to be the same as 3P's. Also, my dive buddy is a veteran diver so i feel like I will be in good hands without hiring a private master. I checked out the 7 day dive package that Dive paradise offers in conjunction with your stay at Hotel Cozumel and i think it's just too many dives for me this first time. It's a total of 15 dives!!! I think I will be happy with just 3 days of two tank mornings this first trip. There is just too much to see and do there to have every day taken by dives. Oh, and this is not my first visit to Coz. Will be my 7th visit. I am a snorkeling fanatic, and have finally followed through with my desire to dive. Boy, it was not fun doing my cert 2 weeks ago in Monterey with 10 feet of visibility and 55 degree water! This will be my first time staying at Hotel Cozumel though. I have read good things about this place and have found a package deal through Expedia, seven nights, flying out of my home city in Fresno, CA, 2 people all inclusive for $2300. I will be going there April 18th through 25th. My birthday that week!

Both will serve you well. Great advice, hiring a private guide. You won't regret it. Money well spent.
Don't let the pickup routine for 3P's bother you. It is very simple and I never had any issues.

I would STRONGLY recommend a private DM for at minimum your 1st Coz dive trip. I did this for my 18 yr old son who was just certified and had just a few OW dives. We had 3P's setup the DM and he was awesome! My son really appreciated the 1 on 1 quality instruction and feedback.
Great Advice...

Also, my dive buddy is a veteran diver so i feel like I will be in good hands without hiring a private master.
My cousin and I were talking old times the other day and remembered a ski trip that included one of his friends who wanted to learn by watching us. His dad flew out late the next day to pick him up after he broke a leg. After that, no newbies were allowed on our trips unless they agreed to spend the first day in school.

If your bud is not a DM, hire a private one the first day. I learned that after taking a newbie to Coz one trip.

I have read good things about this place and have found a package deal through Expedia, seven nights, flying out of my home city in Fresno, CA, 2 people all inclusive for $2300.

Am I correct in assuming the $2,300 total for 2 people with the all inclusive option includes your airfare? If so, good deal. If not, you're at $1,150 per person when Dive Paradise is quoting that week all inclusive at $1,234 per person with 14 dives included.

I may be wrong but after your first day of diving in Coz I bet you are going to forget about the snorkeling and want to dive all you can. There is an entirely different (and far better) underwater world to be seen on Coz as a diver that you've never seen snorkeling the island. I snorkeled Coz about 20? years ago while in port on a cruise and was finning my way along the surface through the bubbles rising from divers beneath me and "down there". Down there is where I wanted to be and as soon as I returned from that trip I got certified. Diving the sites that snorkelers can't reach or see opens up another world. We haven't packed a snorkel on our trips to coz for years, only our dive gear. However, everyone is different.

Am I correct in assuming the $2,300 total for 2 people with the all inclusive option includes your airfare? If so, good deal. If not, you're at $1,150 per person when Dive Paradise is quoting that week all inclusive at $1,234 per person with 14 dives included.

>> flying out of my home city in Fresno, CA, 2 people all inclusive for $2300<<

Call me a stickler, but the first word above is a big clue in this mystery.

Yes, the $2300 includes the air fare. It isn't cheap flying from Fresno to Cozumel. I'm sure over half of the total is for air fare.
I'm sure I will be hooked once I get down there. I don't think I will ever stop snorkeling though. It's so easy to just jump in and look/see. There's a lot of work getting dive ready!

I'm sure I will be hooked once I get down there. I don't think I will ever stop snorkeling though. It's so easy to just jump in and look/see. There's a lot of work getting dive ready!

It might feel like that right now, but really, diving Coz is almost as easy. It'll be much different than doing checkout dives in cold water with bad viz. Your tanks and weights will already be on the boat. I don't know if there are gear lockers close to the dock or if you have gear, but that makes things easier. If you're renting equipment and diving with the house dive op, you'll walk out of your room with very little weight and get on a boat where your gear will probably already be set up on a tank. The boat will pick you up after your first dive, right where you're floating. You'll probably be told not to swim to the boat. Your 2nd tank will very likely be switched out for you, likely before you're even aware you're back on the boat.

deepsea21 said, "I may be wrong but after your first day of diving in Coz I bet you are going to forget about the snorkeling and want to dive all you can."

I had the same thought. You know you, and 3 days might be just right for great reasons. I liked snorkeling and still do, but once I started diving it felt like, if I'm going to this much effort to snorkel, I'd just as soon be diving. It's more money, of course, but really very little extra effort if any. For some, I'm one, it's very hard to sit on dry land knowing that you could be diving.

If you get down there and decide that 3 days isn't enough, it probably won't be very hard to get a spot on a boat with Dive Paradise. It might cost a little more than a package deal, but I'm guessing it'll be doable.

Back
Top Bottom