Additional layer for warmth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

My wife gets cold while diving, and I'm looking for a vest that she can add to her 5mm fullsuit when it isn't warm enough.

Suggestions that we have received are:

-Lavacore insulating layer under the fullsuit
-Henderson pro 3mm vest over the fullsuit.

I figure the Lavacore would be less bulky, but only if the fullsuit fit allows for the additional layer underneath. I worry that the 3mm vest over a 5mm sit would be too bulky.

Can anyone offer insight into the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Thanks.

I have a 3mm vest that I occasionally wear over top other suits for extra warmth. However, it doesn't help with the head, arms and legs that also get cold. My wife wears a 3mm shorty over a 2mm full suit for colder dives. It works well for her. It seems a lot easier to wear the shorty over the full suit, than vice versa.

Hi Everyone,

Suggestions that we have received are:

-Lavacore insulating layer under the fullsuit
-Henderson pro 3mm vest over the fullsuit.

Thanks.

I have found a 3mm hooded vest works OK under a 3mm full suit. Not sure how much less stretchy the 5mm suit is, but it seems worth a try. If you can handle the hood, it makes a huge difference.

The most important is too make sure that the head and the chest core are warm. If these are warm, then you feel comfortable.

Start with a decent hood with an excellent fit. A good hooded vest is even better.

In summer I dive a simple 3mm single-piece wet suit, which is just fine here in the Mediterranean sea.
In spring or autumn I add:
- a 2mm torso-only
- a 3mm hood
- 3mm neoprene socks
- 2mm neoprene-leather gloves
Of them I find the most beneficial the hood, as the head dissipates a lot of heat, and the hood avoids water to enter so easily on the neck.
When young and diving also during the cold winter months, I did wear a two-pieces 6.5mm full suit, which did double on the tors (the pants were the type also including full torso, and the jacket did include hood). I also had a 3mm vest including short sleeves and short legs, to be worn under the main 6.5mm suit.
If I had to dive again in winter, i could possibly consider a dry suit, or at least a semi-dry.

Back
Top Bottom