New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's one data point: As noted further up thread, 12AH batteries without the steel ballast plate yields a couple of ounces positive in salt water.

As a side note, I have a couple of Waitley 9AH batteries for sale. Check the classifieds for my post if interested.

I've dove my cuda with the fresh weightpouch rather than the salt pouch.... that wasn't as bad as last weekend when I followed the above (and have seen it posted elsewhere) advice of removing the steel plate, 75 minute dive and the last half was starting g to get painful trying to hold the scooter on our stops

A few ounces positive on a smaller scooter sucks big time!

_R

Here's one data point: As noted further up thread, 12AH batteries without the steel ballast plate yields a couple of ounces positive in salt water.

As a side note, I have a couple of Waitley 9AH batteries for sale. Check the classifieds for my post if interested.

So, you started with Waitley 9Ah and found that it was worth it to spend up for the DeWalt 12Ah?

I'm about to order a BlackTip and trying to decide what batteries to get. What scenario(s) did you encounter that made it worth the extra money to you for the 12Ah?

1 long dive where 9Ah was not enough? Multiple dives in a day where 9Ah is not enough to save you from having to change batteries during the day, but a 12Ah is?

Just curious. I REALLY want to get 12Ah batteries. But, I am having a REALLY hard time convincing myself they will actually be worth it to me. I mean if one pair of 9Ah would last ME all day, I have no reason to spend more. If 12Ah won't last all day and I'll have to do at least one battery change anyway, I still have no reason to spend that extra. Decisions, decisions...

Just curious. I REALLY want to get 12Ah batteries. But, I am having a REALLY hard time convincing myself they will actually be worth it to me. I mean if one pair of 9Ah would last ME all day, I have no reason to spend more. If 12Ah won't last all day and I'll have to do at least one battery change anyway, I still have no reason to spend that extra. Decisions, decisions...

Get the bigger batteries.
"I wish I had a lower capacity scooter battery" said no one ever.

Im a big fan of only taking the scooter you need on a dive. I wont dive a P3, if I only need a P1. For me I would either buy 12's or the waitley 9's . Im waiting for DeXXXlt to release a 15 or 16, so I'm not looking to future proof myself.

Get the bigger batteries.
"I wish I had a lower capacity scooter battery" said no one ever.

I was considering two sets of the 9 ah, versus one set of 12 ah. So I wouldnt have all the capacity on one dive, but those aren't the types of dives I'm doing. Changing batteries between dives would give me more capacity. My only concern is off brand performance versus the Dewalts.

I was considering two sets of the 9 ah, versus one set of 12 ah. So I wouldnt have all the capacity on one dive, but those aren't the types of dives I'm doing. Changing batteries between dives would give me more capacity. My only concern is off brand performance versus the Dewalts.

Lots of videos on the You Tube about that subject.

I don't know, I've seen some people thinking it while lifting those huge scooters up the stairs at Ginnie.

You realize that sealed lead acid SS UV-18 has 24V * 18Ah = 432Wh and the larger blacktip battery choice has 40V * 12Ah = 480 Wh? So even the largest "heaviest" blacktip battery configuration has more energy in 24lbs than an old short SS/Gavin/Mako/Tekna SLA scooter ever had? Nevermind the increase in efficiency between motors.

You realize that sealed lead acid SS UV-18 has 24V * 18Ah = 432Wh and the larger blacktip battery choice has 40V * 12Ah = 480 Wh? So even the largest "heaviest" blacktip battery configuration has more energy in 24lbs than an old short SS/Gavin/Mako/Tekna SLA scooter ever had? Nevermind the increase in efficiency between motors.
I have a Gavin short and a Magnum on the way. Im going to do a side by side burntest in the tank

Im a big fan of only taking the scooter you need on a dive. I wont dive a P3, if I only need a P1. For me I would either buy 12's or the waitley 9's . Im waiting for DeXXXlt to release a 15 or 16, so I'm not looking to future proof myself.

Is a DeWalt 15 or 16 on the horizon and do you expect it to fit in the current BlackTip with no mods?

I saw a picture of an exploded view of a DeWalt 9Ah. It LOOKED like it was just a casing assembled around a bunch of 18650 cells. Meaning, it looked like one could easily disassemble it and replace the 18650s. Are the DeWalt 9 and 12 the same overall size? Is the difference between them simply that the 12Ah pack uses the same number of 18650 batteries, but ones of higher individual capacity?

Is the Waitley 9Ah the same? Could one take it apart and rebuild it with top shelf 18650s to end up with a 12Ah (or more) battery pack?

Back
Top Bottom