First Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonnaDogMom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have just finished the classroom and confined water parts for my PADI open water certification. My sister-in-law and I (both in our mid fifties) will be doing our Open Water dives end of March in Bonaire as part of a one-week trip offered by her dive shop. I am hoping that the group can offer some tips/suggestions regarding our first trips on a dive boat once we have completed the certification. The thought of the two of us jumping off of a dive boat without an instructor is a bit daunting.

I have just finished the classroom and confined water parts for my PADI open water certification. My sister-in-law and I (both in our mid fifties) will be doing our Open Water dives end of March in Bonaire as part of a one-week trip offered by her dive shop. I am hoping that the group can offer some tips/suggestions regarding our first trips on a dive boat once we have completed the certification. The thought of the two of us jumping off of a dive boat without an instructor is a bit daunting.
If you're doing your open water dives to complete your course, you will be with an instructor.

If you're doing your open water dives to complete your course, you will be with an instructor.
Yes, but AFTER the 4 dives with the instructor, then what??

It's up to you. But it's likely you'll feel pretty comfortable and able to dive. Most shops will take your experience into consideration and take you on shallow, easy dives.
how was your confined water? Were you comfortable taking your mask off? Buoyancy control ok?

a one-week trip offered by her dive shop
Are there a big group of people from the dive shop going? Is the dive shop sending any instructors/divemasters or are you doing the open water portion with instructors of the dive op where you'll be staying?

Howdy and welcome from southeast Florida.....if your going for a week, you and your sister in law should be seasoned divers at the end of your trip....good luck and enjoy the underwater world.

Since you will be completing your cert dives in Bonaire, take advantage of the great shore diving opportunities there after you complete your certification. There will most likely be a house reef at the dive resort you are staying at, which will therefore likely have a fairly easy (probably mostly sandy, although Bonaire has some really sharp ironstone shores) approach. It's pretty difficult to get lost when shore diving - you go off in one direction parallel to the reef/shore and turn around at a pre-determined time/gas point (remember to do a proper dive plan and buddy check before you start). You'll end up right where you started or at least very close to it, and also very close to shore in case you messed up a bit and need to surface swim back.

Enjoy!

PS: If this is a trip put together by a dive shop, you can also see if there are more experienced divers who don't mind two newbies tagging along. Divers tend to be a friendly bunch, especially on a shop trip, so it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Sorry, I sorta misread your original post. You were asking more specifically about boat dives. You will have a DM/guide with you (as well as everyone else on the boat) on boat dives in Bonaire, so you won't be off on your own.

The instructor from the dive shop where my sister-in-law is doing her training will be there (he is the one doing our Open Water Dives). There will be a group from that shop going, and we are going to the "Social" the night before we leave to meet everyone. I am hoping that those other folks will be cool with helping the newbies...

I feel pretty comfortable with my basic skills, with the possible exception of mask clearing (getting better, but still not my favorite thing).

Take with you onto the boat a "dry" bag for stuff other than dive equipment. I have found the crew will have a "dry" area on board. Personally, I don't take anything of value (wallet, phone, etc), and take no dive log book that can get wet (I take a piece of paper & pencil in a jar for writing data). I tip the DM beforehand on shore, but most don't. Then I don't have to have cash on board.
Pack your dive stuff in your gear bag/net bag (weights separately?) in the order of when you'll put each piece of equipment on ("last in is first out"). Mark your equipment for ID--especially fins as many look alike. Scratch initials in the rubber fins?
Keep all your stuff close to you on the boat--perhaps under the bench.

I know Bonaire is one of the most visited dive places. Still, be sure you are getting what you expect regarding dives, cost of dives, accomodations, etc. On my one tropical trip (Panama) I found a couple of things weren't what I expected. Print out e mails and take them with you if any proof is needed.
Bring some cash to tip the divemaster. Standard is $10 US per tank. There are tons of threads on this.

Have a good first trip. I'm envious as i look at our 40F water here.

You're going to do great.

Calm, Control, and Confident should be your mantra. The rest of your life will be dreaming of being with the fishies.

Back
Top Bottom