What gave you the itch or motivation to take up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkeling! And the fact that I just so happen to live right down the street from some of the best diving in the country. :wink:
Yeah, I forgot to add that I snorkeled in all types of conditions for about 40 years prior to taking OW. Mostly "free diving" (as it is called now) down 6-10 feet to collect shells. Breathing for the first time UW in the pool was no big relevation for me, just really nice. In a perfect world, snorkeling experience would be a prerequisite for OW course, and would eliminate a lot of those dreaded mask skills/airway control problems.

(My story is adapted from what I posted on an older, similar thread, so apologies if you suspect you've read this before.)

I grew up in the Sonoran desert, an hour outside Phoenix, with teachers for parents. We all had the summer off, so during my middle school years, my parents stuffed me into the back seat of our '83 Mercury Marquis coupe with a plastic basket full of books, and we inched our way across the country, dragging a pop-up trailer behind at the absolutely blinding speed of 55 mph, to the Midwest, where we visited all the family members we barely ever saw or heard from otherwise.

On one of those trips, I came down with chicken pox. I, the Plague Child, must've been the modern version of Typhoid Mary, shedding virus particles and coating every McDonald's bathroom, roadside rest stop, and presidential museum from Arizona to Michigan with disease.

We were at some relatives' house in Michigan when the pustules finally erupted, and there I stayed for roughly a week, stoned to the gills on Benadryl, while I scabbed up and unsuccessfully tried to stifle the urge to scratch myself raw. The limited time I spent awake was dead boring. Mid-'80s daytime TV stank (what kid gave a crap about Phil Donahue or soap operas?), so I raided the bookshelf of my relatives' long-grown children, where I snagged a book called Young Skin Diver. The story grabbed my attention, and I thought that this scuba diving thing sounded awesome. I already loved to swim at my hometown's municipal pool, and I particularly loved swimming underwater. If I could actually breathe while down there... Wow...that would be soooooo much fun. But it was just a fantasy. Home was six-plus hours away from the ocean; actually getting to scuba dive was as likely as my sprouting wings.

Fast forward about ten years, to December 1996. I was working as a lifeguard at a YMCA in SoCal, and my branch's Aquatics Director brought in a scuba instructor with the idea of getting a training program rolling. Even with the significant employee discount, I totally couldn't afford the class--I earned $7/hour and only had 20 hours a week during the winter months--but I figured this was a now-or-never moment, so I ponied up the money and took the OW class.

Doing it meant that my diet for the next four months consisted of Banquet frozen dinners, day-old discounted pastries, and free samples from a supermarket deli, but scuba diving was exactly as awesome as I'd read it was. I could hang out underwater as long as I wanted (or at long as my tank lasted, anyway) and putz around, looking at awesome stuff and just plain having fun. I will never, ever eat another Banquet frozen dinner, but I loved the class, and I've been diving ever since.

I met a woman, now my wife, who was into diving. Having never viewed it as an activity for me, even though I lived being in water....I took the class and lived it. I wound up proposing to her the day I got certified.

When I was in college we had to have three hours of PE. So I took Scuba Diving, Mountaineering, and Badminton. Badminton by far the hardest

Unlike many in this thread, I was born a couple generations too late to be inspired by Mike Nelson and Jacques Cousteau.

For me, it was James Bond. I grew up watching Bond marathons on cable and Thunderball was by far my favorite of all of them. Connery was so effortlessly cool in that film and I absolutely loved watching all of the underwater scenes. I was not a very adventurous kid, though, so I never dreamed that I would one day be able to do the same. But it always kind of stuck in the back of my mind, and two and a half years ago I decided on a whim to sign up for an OW course. Best thing I ever did. Now I can dive like Bond... single hose or double hose. :)

Ever since I was a kid I had heard of people diving in "sinkholes in Florida". Sounded cool.

A long time older friend told me stories of diving and his love of it and I wanted to strengthen our bond.

Did "snuba" in Hawaii on vacation and enjoyed breathing underwater.

Always found equalization easy and enjoyed free-diving and breath holding in the pool as a child.

Got certified in Tulum, dove in Cenotes and felt like Indiana Jones in the jungle. Hooked!

Definitely the JYC Undersea World documentaries. That and vacationing with my grandparents on Key Biscayne, FL in the 1960s as a small fry. Earned my PADI Jr. Basic Scuba Diver as a young teen in 1977, and had my first ocean dive at Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo that same summer. Continued to dive recreationally until I moved to Honduras in 1984 where I gradually turned my hobby into first a moonlighting job and then a full time job [albeit for only a short time]. Lived in Central America for a decade and got to dive in Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama [Belize and Honduras are my favorites for Caribbean diving, Costa Rica and Panama for big pelagic marine life on the Pacific side]. Eventually got around to getting the wife and kids diving and started to DM at my LDS. Much of my recreational time still revolves around diving and hopefully will for years to come. I take pleasure in diving vintage gear, as well as its maintenance and upkeep.

I grew up with it, something I have always known about and something that I have always participated in in some manner or another. You could say I didn't make a choice, it is just what my family did. I would do my homework during the classroom instruction for new open water students, swim in the pool while the pool training was happening and would wander the beach during open water dives. Certified at 12, started diving with the class every weekend and ended up leading students to surface when they would freak out (had a neon pink wet suit and yellow mask/fins - easy to spot even in the Puget Sound with a class of people who didn't know how to fin). Started college right after high school graduation, decided that was an expensive version of high school, went to commercial dive school instead. Best decision I ever made.

When I got out of the Navy, the choice in front of me was to get out and make my mark in civilian life or to attend BUDS and become a Seal.

A few years ago, I attended extreme seal experience with a bunch of youngsters to get a better understanding of what I missed. Getting my dive certification was a follow on step to closing the gap of what might have been.

Financially I made the right move and it has worked out better than I could have imagined at the time. However, there is always that part of you that wonders how life would be if you'd made the other choice.

To this day, I think I'd have made a darn good Seal and my suspicions were confirmed by the Seals I met during the week of training. It takes a certain never quit mindset and fearlessness that I apparently have in common with them.

I have no plans to buy a Draeger.

Summary: Costeau's world as a kid > long break into adulthood > snorkeling in Coz > certifying in Monterey

Interesting how many people cite Costeau. Those types of videos really fascinated me as a kid. However, even though I grew up only 90 minutes from world class diving (Monterey), as a working class Mexican kid, the world of scuba diving might as well have been hundreds of miles away. It was just something on the TV. Most everybody I knew growing up could barely swim, much less think about scuba diving. And my family did not vacation, much less to diving destinations.

Fast forward through life, and now Im at place where I can go on vacations. My then wife books us a package to Cancun & Cozumel. We had no idea Cozumel was a dive destination, but we're interested in snorkeling. Snorkeling in Chaakanab was great. I actually returned to Cozumel twice more, all before I was certified, but I did a lot of snorkeling -- and in Hawaii as well. In one trip at Coz, I saw scuba divers, and I thought, hmm maybe I should do that.

So eventually, I certified locally, with check-outs in Monterey, around age 35. As my wife doesn't dive, I have not returned to Cozumel, although I have dived the Riviera Maya, Key Largo, Oahu, Puerto Rico, the Costa Brava of Catalonia, Catalina & my local Monterey/Carmel waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom