Fin Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Mares Avanti Quattro for years (around 20), with wet or dry suit. Had to change them when I got my latest dry suit : large feet + rock boots, wouldn't fit in my fins and I had the largest model... While diving dry, I use Mares Avanti Plana : negatively buoyant and very stiff.

You know, there are a lot of great fins out there: the ScubaPro jetfins have been iterated by different vendors for good reason. I personally like the Deep 6 Eddy fins for single tank backmount and sidemount. For twinsets, then I need something negative, like Hollis F1s or ScubaPro jetfins.

If you are not in a twinset configuration, and want to use the same fins for local as you do for travel, I'd strongly suggest the Deep 6 Eddy fins as they are light and compact, and thus easier for travel.

There are lots of great fins out there. RK3s are another option. OMS slipstream. All good fins.

Some lengths and weights, if considering travel.

- Force Fin Hockey -- XL 18 x 8.5", 4.6 lb., slight negative Underwater Hockey Force Fin – Force Fin
- Hollis F2 -- XL 19.7", 1.7 lb.
- Aeris Accel - XL 21", < 3 lb. Accel
- SP Jets -- 21.8", 5.25 lb. v. negative https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/fins/fins/jet-fin-w-spring-heel-strap
- SP Go Travel -- XL 22", 2.6 lb, Scubapro Go Travel Fin
- Deep6 Eddy -- XL 22", 2.5 lb. Deep 6 Eddy Flippers
- APEKS RK3 -- XL 22.5 x 9.5", 2.75 lb, neutral
- Mares Quattro Excel Plus - XL 25", 6.2 lb. Mares Excel Plus, Open Heel Fins
- Dive Rite XT - XL 26 x 9", 6.3 lb. XT Fins with Stainless Buckles | Dive Rite

With just blade length specs:
- Mares Avanti Quattro - R 15" blade, 2 lb. neutral Avanti Quattro +

So I guess for warm water I would definitely recommend the Seawing Novas. They're awesome. Or if not, I would still steer you towards a blade style fin that's not very negative, if positive that's even better. It just makes trimming out in warm water easier in my experience and you can always add ankle weights when needed in cold water. I feel like if I took my F1s down to the Florida Keys or something I would have a hard time staying horizontal without making my cylinder absurdly high. .

I'll second Scuba Pro Seawing Nova's. These by far are the best fins I've ever used, They're awesome!

I started with the Avanti Quatros. They are good but a little floppy for me. I moved over to the RK3's and absolutely love them. Getting my Deep6 Eddy's XXL tomorrow to fit a more robust boot.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. See if you can't try at least a couple of them out with your LDS although I am of the belief that it takes more than a few kicks to fall in love.

It depends on what kind of diving you plan on doing. If you are going to be wearing a dry suit, a set of double cylinders and a large back mounted BC, I would recommend the SP Jet fins with steel straps. If you are going to be wearing a wet suit, a single 80 cu. ft. cylinder in either a jacket or back plate / wing BC, I would go with the Mares Quattro [also with spring straps]. The SP Jet fins are heavy and will propel a veritable building through the water, the Quattros are a lot lighter and more in the recreational rather than the technical realm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom