New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I just got done with a week of diving in Key Largo with my new Dive XTras Blacktip. I really love this little scooter! I've only got 5 dives with the Blacktip but looking forward to getting her back in the water this weekend for some long range shore diving.

As much as I wanted to use the scooter on every dive in Keys I opted to make the "adult" decision and leave it on the boat when we had some sporty topside conditions. In retrospect, the Blacktip or the P1 are the type of scooters you WANT in these conditions, handing up a 70lb UV-18 or 53lb CUDA 650 in 4-5ft seas is NOT fun.

Prior to this scooter I used to tool around on wrecks with a little Suex XJoy 2 that I own which is basically a glorified pool toy compared to the Blacktip. I've also got some trigger time on a UV-18, CUDA 650, Suex XJ 37 and P1 for comparisons. The Blacktip has plenty of thrust for to pull me in a full technical configuration and more..

A couple others in my group were using Piranha P1s and the Blacktip has no issues at all keeping pace or lapping them depending on speed and drag :) Besides the fact that Piranha is better balanced and trimmed the Blacktip is extremely easy to ride. I actually prefer the trigger on the Blacktip.
86315287_10101191459867229_6779391824155901952_o.jpg

We were diving typical Key Largo wrecks (Spiegel, Duane, Bibb) and it was really fun to scooter around them. I wish I taken it on the Northern Light but I was only one with a scooter on that dive so I opted to leave it on the boat.

I'm currently using the DeWalt 9Ah batteries in salt water. I have both nose plates still in so my scooter quite negative. I was on vacation and didn't really have time to tweak the weighting with a digital scale or shotweight in the nose cone. I hope to tweak this over the next couple weeks and at least get it slightly more neutral.

For a 130 minute runtime on the Spiegel Grove I estimate that we did about 45-60 minutes of trigger time but it was hard to estimate since we took turns switching back and forth from the P1 to the Blacktip. I spent the majority of time above speed 5 and I was still showing half full battery with the 9Ah batteries if that means anything. Drysuit, Rebreather, and AL80 bailout for drag and a very mild current. I lost count of how many times we lapped the Spiegel Grove but it was at least 5 or 6 times. For reference the Spiegel is 510' (160m) long; It's not exactly a small wreck.

Like others I have also noticed the tail negative trim and simply added a piece of bungee to the shroud so that I can clip it off with a double ender like a stage bottle. It really was a non-issue for me but I do want to get my scooter a bit more neutral at some point. Right now I think I prefer this scooter to be slightly negative to help keep the nose down but I may need to re-evaluate this strategy if I take the Blacktip into a cave.
84536536_10101189550264089_4501478218468950016_n.jpg

After a couple dives on the Spiegel, we dove the Bibb which can be known for current. I'm honestly not really great at estimating currents but I'd say it to be higher than mild to slightly moderate compared to what I've experienced on the Bibb before. The Blacktip was able to tow 2 divers (myself in a rebreather, drysuit, AL80 bailout and another diver in LP85s doubles and drysuit) with no issues in the current and easily lap the wreck. I could easily do this in Speed 5 but we had lots of fun on Speed 7. I tried not to use Speed 8 too much as I know the current draw can be quite high.

For the last day of diving my wife took the Blacktip on the Duane while I was on another charter in the morning. I managed to run the battery down on an afternoon charter on the Spiegel after I don't know how many minutes on the trigger.

Hope this helps anyone looking at the Blacktip. For me this thing is hopefully going to get a lot more use this summer. It's much easier to deal with a 24lb scooter on a boat.

There has been a lot of really good information scattered throughout this thread regarding run times with different batteries and weighting requirements to get it neutral.

I don't suppose somebody would be willing to make a battery table, with all the different batteries and what kind of run times they seem to produce, and a weighting table that says how to weight it for fresh vs salt, for each of the different types of batteries?

I'm hoping that that table will gradually get expanded to include some info on how much flotation one needs to attach to the rear, with different batteries, to get it to trim out flat.

Put those tables together and then edit the first post to put it there? Or start a new thread? Either way, ask a mod to make it a Sticky?

@RayfromTX, maybe this could be done at the top of that other thread you started? Especially since I think you have the power to make it sticky....?

With great power comes great responsibility or some such platitude. Stickies can be a pain when there are too many of them so we never just create a sticky without a consensus of the mods and there is usually great pushback. This isn't one I would support unless it became full of very valuable info. It's not a bad idea just fraught with side effects like having to scroll down half a page to get to new info. It is better to just title it in such a way that it is easy to find in a search.

With great power comes great responsibility or some such platitude. Stickies can be a pain when there are too many of them so we never just create a sticky without a consensus of the mods and there is usually great pushback. This isn't one I would support unless it became full of very valuable info. It's not a bad idea just fraught with side effects like having to scroll down half a page to get to new info. It is better to just title it in such a way that it is easy to find in a search.

Understood.

I do note that this particular subforum has no stickies at all....

I don't suppose somebody would be willing to make a battery table, with all the different batteries and what kind of run times they seem to produce, and a weighting table that says how to weight it for fresh vs salt, for each of the different types of batteries?

Three different batteries
Three+ different battery brands (of varying quality and even weights)
Eight different speeds
2 to 3 different diver configurations (single, doubles, doubles + deco bottles)

This many variables creates over 200 different combinations. I don't think you are going to get this table.

The volume/weight of the blacktip is known, it shouldn't be too hard to put together a reasonable estimate of weight to get the blacktip neutral with different batteries, whose weights are also known. I think earlier in this thread someone had a detailed account of this.

Even if you can start with "The Blacktip is neutral with 2x12ah dewalt batteries+plate in saltwater", that's enough to get started.

Don't need a table for different weights for different batteries. Just need to know the total weight for fresh and salt water. You could have 30 different battery possibilities (maybe not that many, but any number) and all you have to do is weigh the whole package and get it to a set weight. Doesn't matter what is in it, overall weight is the key.

Three different batteries
Three+ different battery brands (of varying quality and even weights)
Eight different speeds
2 to 3 different diver configurations (single, doubles, doubles + deco bottles)

This many variables creates over 200 different combinations. I don't think you are going to get this table.

Yeah... I realize I probably won't. But, I would be happy with 9 and 12 Ah, DeWalt and Waitley, and trigger setting #3. So, 3 options (since there is no Waitley 12Ah).

Or, as others have noted, a sticky post as a reference that gives the total target weight for fresh and salt water and the weights of the various batteries and plates that come with it. And runtimes (on 3) of the 3 main battery contenders (Waitley and DeWalt 9Ah and DeWalt 12Ah). I.e. an easy-to-find (versus reading 23 pages of a thread) reference of the info that is already known.

Here's one data point: As noted further up thread, 12AH batteries without the steel ballast plate yields a couple of ounces positive in salt water.

As a side note, I have a couple of Waitley 9AH batteries for sale. Check the classifieds for my post if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom