Refresher course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming the fiancé's upcoming certification is for Open Water, then it seems unlikely they plan any advanced or deep dives. In particular boats/resorts often want AOW for any deeper dives, so that would rule out the fiancé. Any checkout dive she wants to avoid may well be in the range of a new OW diver dive anyway (as in her fiancé). This seems a non issue. Particularly with her refresher. The resort/boat still makes the rules. But if she seems competent, the fiancé is likely the limiting factor.

What was her dive experience prior to her hiatus? 10 dives? Hmmm. 90 dives varied environments?
Less likely an issue. It depends on the boat/resort rules. And none of us can say.

My wife hasn't dove in ten years do to ear issues that happened during her last dive. Before our two week dive trip to Belize last month she took a refresher course about a week before our trip. Did she need to take it...no! However, it was the best thing she could have done. She was able to get reacquainted with all of the gear, weights and BCD and practice her buoyancy in the pool. She dove in Belize and had a great time. Each dive she gained more and more confidence. She didn't dive as much as I did but it great to see her back in the water.

She's now really looking forward to our trip to Bonaire later this year. She's even talking about going on one of my shark dives in late spring early summer. To be honest, I'll believe this one when her fins hit the water! :D

Saxman has hit on the most important factor - where she will be staying. The resort/operator/dive op has the final say. Contact them for the answer. Every response you get on this board will nothing but opinion, not the definitive answer.

Okay, sure, but I would put money on it that no dive op will ask a person who just did a refresher course to ALSO do a check-out dive that they do not require their other clients to do.

Way back, when I had all of a handful of dives to my name and hadn't dived in more than a year and was honest enough to admit it, a resort required me to do a check-out dive in a pool. But that was INSTEAD of a refresher course--sort of an abbreviated refresher, I guess. I'm certain that if I had told them I JUST did a refresher course before I left home, I would not have been required to do the pool check-out. After the pool, we headed for the dive boat, and I did the same novice-level dives as everyone else on the boat. I think it was a Sandals resort or something like that.

But you are correct. The dive op has the final say what will satisfy them to take ANY diver out diving.

Just have the shop/instructor she did the refresher course with sign her log book that did a refresher or sign a letter to take with her. The instructor I DM'd for did that all the time.

She just doesn’t want to have to hassle with it once they get there she’s scared she will lose a day. I don’t know because she’s a 30-year-old daughter ha ha

On Bonaire & Curacao a check-out dive is someone from the shop looks at you gear up and get in the water. Boat diving on Roatan it's the DM helping you get your weight right at the start of your first dive. IOW nothing to be afraid of.

OTOH depending on where "there" is, by the time they're out of the airport, checked into their hotel, and are at the actual dive shop, it may be "mañana" already anyway.

Just have the shop/instructor she did the refresher course with sign her log book that did a refresher or sign a letter to take with her. The instructor I DM'd for did that all the time.
This is exactly the right procedure and precisely what the refresher / reactivate is designed for.

Your daughter won't be required to undertake any formal OW check-out dive involving skills as this has been covered already. However, the dive op will probably recommend a nice simple 'check' dive before any more challenging dives. This is a good thing and will allow her and the other divers to get themselves 'dialed in' first. This is standard procedure for liveaboards and no-one minds, including experienced regular divers.

Hi my daughter is an advanced open water diver but she has not dove in about five years. Her fiancé is finishing his certification next weekend and she just did a refresher course. Does anyone know if she is required to do dives before she goes on her honeymoon. It’s a refresher course good enough for her to dive. She doesn’t want to get there and then tell her that she has to do more check out dives.
While she would love to go with him to dive seeing that they’re getting ready to have a wedding and honeymoon and with having to board two dogs she is hesitant about spending the money. She has no idea what to do does anyone have any input or suggestions.
Thank you very much

Certifications are good for ever! Refresher is in any case recommended. Some resorts might require a check dive.
Better is that you contact directly the resort before hand.

She doesn’t want to get there and then tell her that she has to do more check out dives.

What is wrong with doing a supervised dive and review her dive skills, check her buoyancy and make sure that she has the appropriate amount of lead with a dive professional in openwater at the beginning of her stay at the dive resort? I'd do it even if it weren't required.

I'm curious why she's so keen to avoid checkout dives at the resort. Seems like the worst-case scenario is that they have to do their first honeymoon dive on a shallow reef that might be less than spectacular, before they can go see wrecks or sharks or whatever lies in deeper, faster waters. Might be a wise choice even if it's not required. I once had to do a mini checkout dive in the open water portion of a cenote before going into the cavern; it only took a few minutes, and then we did the cavern dive proper. I was glad to do it; I felt more comfortable knowing I'd been assessed and found adequate.

We’re getting the story second-hand, but my guess as to what the daughter is thinking is that she’s concerned the dive op will require her do some kind of ultra-lame checkout (a pool?) that the dive op will not require her husband to do. If the only concern is they will both have to do their first dive on a shallow reef, well, many of us have been subjected to that on occasion. A shallow first dive on a reef is fine with me. The first dive on a liveaboard or at some resorts is often like that. The checkout is for EVERY diver there, no matter experience level. As I mentioned earlier, it’s sometimes ostensibly so divers can get their weighting correct, but it’s at least as much about just getting the rust out in general as weighting. I can’t imagine that’s the daughter’s concern.

And if the husband is a brand-new OW diver, it’s not like the dive op is going to take EITHER of them on a challenging first dive. My first post-cert OW dive was from a boat on the Great Barrier Reef that plopped my inexperienced self down on a reef no more than 30 feet deep. And I was happy as a giant clam. Australia is admittedly known for such safety-consciousness, but almost any dive op anywhere is going to make sure one’s first few OW dives are suitably easy.

Back
Top Bottom