Day in Sorong after Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed at the FaveHotel Sorong, less fancy than the Swiss-Bel but I didn't mind. Not as close to "downtown". Not much to do. Usually walk over to the mall and get some tasty pastries at the bakery, and some supplies from the grocery store.

All silicone in the bathroom was covered with black mold colonies. It was sufficient to stay a night but I was happy to leave :).
In Indo basically all the silicone in the place will have black markings/ stains from mildew, and it is due to the high humidity.
But if there is actual mold growing up from the silicone then yes...that's gross.

In Indo basically all the silicone in the place will have black markings/ stains from mildew, and it is due to the high humidity.
But if there is actual mold growing up from the silicone then yes...that's gross.

For the record...I just stayed at the Swissbel on Feb 21 and there was no mold. The room was quite clean. Pro-tip though, do not eat at the hotel restaurant. It's a total **** show.

For the record...I just stayed at the Swissbel on Feb 21 and there was no mold. The room was quite clean. Pro-tip though, do not eat at the hotel restaurant. It's a total **** show.

I’ve been to that hotel a few times and have stayed there each time I’ve been in Sorong. I have eaten there regularly while there. I didn’t have any significant issues but my expectations on food and service there doesn’t mirror most other hotel and restaurants given that it’s Sorong. What issues did you have?

I’ve been to that hotel a few times and have stayed there each time I’ve been in Sorong. I have eaten there regularly while there. I didn’t have any significant issues but my expectations on food and service there doesn’t mirror most other hotel and restaurants given that it’s Sorong. What issues did you have?

I had quite low expectations to be honest and I had been to the hotel before but only had breakfast which was pretty good.

Dinner on the other hand was comical. There were 4 tables in our area and we all were laughing about what was going on. I think that it was a mistake on our part to not get the buffet but it was heavy on meat and my girlfriend doesn't eat meat. It didn't look all that appetizing either so we chose to order off of the menu.

When we ordered, several things were not available. Sure thing, no problem. We ordered around those items. So we order bread and some vegetable app that I can't recall...and two fish entrees. Nothing crazy. We wait a good 45 mins and notice that other tables are also looking around to see any sign of life from the kitchen. Sure it's island time but over an hour to get some bread and uncooked veges is a bit odd. A little over an hour into it I get my entree. I try to not eat it but it's getting cold and another half hour passes and no sign of anything else. We ask the waiter about the apps and the other entree and he responds that they are out of bread and the vegetable app. Okay, fine, how about the other entree? It comes about 45 mins after mine. We are 2 hours in at this point. My girlfriend is finished with her entree, table cleared and the vege app that we were just told was not available comes out. Overall, it was just bizarre. I have plenty of patience and I understand it is Sorong but this was just bizarre. It was not just our table, we spoke to those around us and same thing.

I had quite low expectations to be honest and I had been to the hotel before but only had breakfast which was pretty good.

Dinner on the other hand was comical. There were 4 tables in our area and we all were laughing about what was going on. I think that it was a mistake on our part to not get the buffet but it was heavy on meat and my girlfriend doesn't eat meat. It didn't look all that appetizing either so we chose to order off of the menu.

When we ordered, several things were not available. Sure thing, no problem. We ordered around those items. So we order bread and some vegetable app that I can't recall...and two fish entrees. Nothing crazy. We wait a good 45 mins and notice that other tables are also looking around to see any sign of life from the kitchen. Sure it's island time but over an hour to get some bread and uncooked veges is a bit odd. A little over an hour into it I get my entree. I try to not eat it but it's getting cold and another half hour passes and no sign of anything else. We ask the waiter about the apps and the other entree and he responds that they are out of bread and the vegetable app. Okay, fine, how about the other entree? It comes about 45 mins after mine. We are 2 hours in at this point. My girlfriend is finished with her entree, table cleared and the vege app that we were just told was not available comes out. Overall, it was just bizarre. I have plenty of patience and I understand it is Sorong but this was just bizarre. It was not just our table, we spoke to those around us and same thing.

Had much the same happen last year for lunch except that I bailed as soon as I found out that the two things I wanted to order from the menu were unavailable. A basic salad and a soda. Figured that if they couldn't put together even those basic things it would be better to find an alternative. Can't remember what I ultimately found.

Very similar to my last meal experience there. I've not tried elsewhere in years though and the place before that totally disgusted me. So rock and a hard place

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom