New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo, would you have an idea as an former ASW expert if a submarine with its anachroic tiles would be visible to sidescan or imaging sonars?

Correction: I'm far from an ASW expert. My rating and initial training was in electronics used in ASW, but never worked in ASW. Of course that was never a reason not to give friends in ASW a hard time.

No sub is truly invisible in the same way that the F-117 Nighthawk is "invisible" to radar. They are just extremely hard to find hiding in all the other noise in the ocean and acoustic stratification. Radar waves through air are far more predictable than sound through ocean water. Imagine trying to listen for a Tesla on street next to a major freeway. ASW depends a great deal on computers, lots of active and passive sonar transducers, big explosions, and luck.

German fuel cell subs are relatively quiet compared to nuclear boats, largely because they don't depend on high speed steam turbines or require as many pumps. Great for spying but limited for keeping up with a carrier task force. The problem with sinking a carrier is it will result in retaliation that no attacker could win. Basically a variation on mutually assured destruction.

The problem with sinking a carrier is it will result in retaliation that no attacker could win. Basically a variation on mutually assured destruction

I'm going to disagree here, we "sank" ours and then escaped unscathed to sink others. In the sea warfare each ship has it's part and strengths, a subs biggest is the ability to hide.

I'm going to disagree here, we "sank" ours and then escaped unscathed to sink others. In the sea warfare each ship has it's part and strengths, a subs biggest is the ability to hide.

On the other hand, if they had a sub in their task group, it may not have been so easy.

In your exercise did the screen go active sonar? What was the hard bottom depth?

In your exercise did the screen go active sonar? What was the hard bottom depth?

I'm sure you'll understand in the interest of staying out of federal prison I'm not to answer this. Nothing personal I just think I would enjoy Leavenworth.

On the other hand, if they had a sub in their task group, it may not have been so easy.

First ship we sank, we might have gotten lucky there.

I'm sure you'll understand in the interest of staying out of federal prison I'm not to answer this. Nothing personal I just think I would enjoy Leavenworth.
Going active would be pretty standard for the skimmers once a carrier is hit, no secrete there, hard bottom is pretty much the only way to hide, in theory.

That is asking a magician to give you his tricks. The magicians union is very strict. I’ve been out of it for around fifty years, and if I haven’t seen it in public print...

Bob

The problem with sinking a carrier is it will result in retaliation that no attacker could win. Basically a variation on mutually assured destruction.

Think bigger picture. A sub that actually sank a carrier (as opposed to war games) might get away inscathed but the country that ordered it wouldn't. You might be able to hurt an enemy with dramatically greater resources and reach a negotiated objective, but you can't enrage them. Pearl Harbor being the classic example.

That is asking a magician to give you his tricks. The magicians union is very strict. I’ve been out of it for around fifty years, and if I haven’t seen it in public print...

Bob
Equipment has improved, tactics on the other hand...

Back
Top Bottom