Diving in the Miami Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is where the wheels came off the cart. As everyone hit the water everyone scattered like flies on the back of a cow. .

Why I dont dive cattle boats in S FL. Boat I dive from is a six pack, it is clear who is diving with who and every "group" (regardless of the #) is issued their own float/flag for the drift dive. Add to that my last experience on a cattle boat was them going full throttle away from the dive site....with me just getting on the dive ladder.....but I was lucky, they didnt leave me out in the water...

Wait until you do a wreck dive on some of these cattle boats and you have everything from RB Tec divers doing deco to basic divers doing their check out dives! It is a total CF....

Why I dont dive cattle boats in S FL. Boat I dive from is a six pack, it is clear who is diving with who and every "group" (regardless of the #) is issued their own float/flag for the drift dive. Add to that my last experience on a cattle boat was them going full throttle away from the dive site....with me just getting on the dive ladder.....but I was lucky, they didnt leave me out in the water...

Wait until you do a wreck dive on some of these cattle boats and you have everything from RB Tec divers doing deco to basic divers doing their check out dives! It is a total CF....

I hear you. I like your analogy "cattle boats"!

I feel the same....no cattle boat boats for me please. 6 pack any day. In the last few years I've come to realize I like people, just not all at once.

Shore diving is possible from Miami north to Boca. In Ft Lauderdale area you can shore dive just north of Port Everglades past LBTS. It is all good and, interestingly enough, pretty different. Different ledges, different corals, different drop offs. Dont get stuck in just one area. Hollywood is nice also off the beach. Plus, south of LBTS you have Oakland Twin ledges that are nice, about a 5 min swim from the end of the first reef. When I see "only two areas worth beach diving" that tells me that someone has virtually no experience shore diving in this area. Often I'll just grab my fins/mask (and torpedo float) and spend an hour or two free diving up and down the coast.

Tech is amazing, wreck from 300' to 120'. If you have a scooter, you can actually scooter to different wrecks or scooter from the deep wrecks onto the reef and other shallow wrecks. Check out the Hydro Atlantic, RBJ and the Lowrance. then you have the 100's of wrecks from 120 up to 70' range and 2nd reef, 3rd reef and the deeper areas of the 3rd reef in 115 down to 135

And if that aint enough, you have the Keys or north WPB/Jupiter area. Drift dive the Hole in the Wall. Or just drive 5 hrs into Cave Country.

And we have not even touched the West Coast!

jadairiii - Thanks for the info. Moving is one part, where to dive is the critical part of the whole move. Since I am a tech diver (CCR, scooter, camera etc..) It's nice to hear that you can reach some wrecks from shore.

Something you should do before closing up your life in Seattle and moving to south Florida is spend at least a few weeks straight there in August and you should probably experience spring break as well so you know how hot Florida really is and I get how you want to move from Seattle I think about eating a bullet every time I end up there during rush hour traffic which is what 24/7 now. Not to mention homeless people taking dumps by your car door nothing excites me as much as a 10 foot bull shark circling around me except a fresh pile of crap left by my drivers door when I only went into a building for 20 minutes. You might miss that if you move to Miami I do not think they tolerate this as much there. Spring break in south Florida is kind of like a free for all of the homeless people of Seattle and Portland only there high school and college kids that get to leave the mess they left.

Blue Heron is probably your only real shore dive and I spend an hour cleaning up the parking lot and beach every time I’m there and I think every diver that goes there should make that a habit. It never changes its like the spring break crowd hangs out there every night and its a nice park beach and swimming area so I understand why buts the trash and plastic goes right into the ocean from there, Its a cool dive youll do it two times and then find people with boats. Or buy your own:)

You will find no problems getting hooked up in dive clubs theres quite a few. Pull your own weight and they will welcome you.

I’m planning on wintering over in southern Florida as part of my semi retirement I go there as often as I can but I still plan to spend most of the year here in the Northwet.

lowlysubaruguy - This will differently be different than the NW. I'm looking forward to having viz more than 2 feet and water temp at 46 like today's dive was. As for the homeless, in Seattle, I'm sure you know, it gets bad here in this city too. Havn't had a pile of poo at the side of my car yet. As for doing the right thing and keeping our beach and earth clean. Count me in; I do my beach clean-ups here too. Its just the right thing to do as much as you can. Since I go just about every weekend here. I'm hoping that I can find a good club to connect with to show me the cool places. Thanks for the info

jadairiii - Thanks for the info. Moving is one part, where to dive is the critical part of the whole move. Since I am a tech diver (CCR, scooter, camera etc..) It's nice to hear that you can reach some wrecks from shore.

Well, I dont think I would try to hit the wrecks from the beach, we did it the other way around with a chase boat. Technically you could with a scooter, get to wrecks from the beach, but the day would suck for you if a scooter failed. But lots of nice reef from the beach

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom