In desperate and immediate need of Phuket recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best boats: Sirolo Dive, I Love Diving, Mandarin Queen — very large, spacious, delicious food.
Good boats: Local Dive Thailand, Similan Queen, Dive Asia*, Latitude — smaller, less delicious food.
Normal boats: Happy Star, South Siam Diving**, Freedom Dolphin***.

* - one of my favourites because almost every dive is a pickup dive: captain will pick you up wherever you are even if you swim away on "back to the boat" dives. Without this I would rate it as "Normal boat".
** - (their boat number 1, "S.Somboon") one of my un-favourites because the boat is small and not very comfortable, also the food is mediocre. The good thing is - it goes to King Cruiser every day so if you want to go to King Cruiser and other boats are full then there is a high chance you can book with South Siam.
*** - tends to be always crowded. But has delicious food, so I still rate it as "Normal".

there are many other dive boats on Phuket but I did not try them yet.
Let's just say I totally disagree with your assessment of the boats.

Lol. While there was certainly a little bit of odd ratings criteria mixed in there, but I appreciated the feedback nonetheless...lol. Trying to plan a 2 1/2 week trip in a day with shotty internet was a daunting task, so any intel was useful intel.

I had to make a decision so I could get my land accommodations on the books, so I went ahead and booked a 5/6 on Octavia yesterday. I liked the itinerary and most of the reviews I was able to find were positive. I also liked that their single supplement was 30% rather than 100%, as I tend to prefer having my own space if it’s more than just a few days.

Lol. While there was certainly a little bit of odd ratings criteria mixed in there, but I appreciated the feedback nonetheless...lol. Trying to plan a 2 1/2 week trip in a day with shotty internet was a daunting task, so any intel was useful intel.

I had to make a decision so I could get my land accommodations on the books, so I went ahead and booked a 5/6 on Octavia yesterday. I liked the itinerary and most of the reviews I was able to find were positive. I also liked that their single supplement was 30% rather than 100%, as I tend to prefer having my own space if it’s more than just a few days.
I think 5/6 is a bit deceiving, with really 5 diving days and 1 departure day. I'm sure you'll enjoy that trip.. Leaving on the 15th or 21st?

I think 5/6 is a bit deceiving, with really 5 diving days and 1 departure day. I'm sure you'll enjoy that trip.. Leaving on the 15th or 21st?

Yeah, I noticed a lot of variety in how the different boats listed them. As long as it was 5 diving days, I was good with it. And I like the idea of motoring out at night and hitting the water first thing in the morning. I’m on the 21st trip.

what are your favourites and un-favourites and why?
I would love to answer but can not, partly due to Thailand's defamation laws.

I can say though that you're ranking boats high on your list, even though some of these have been putting of their compulsory yearly shipyard visit and inspection in exchange for paying a fine. But I can not name names here.

I would love to answer but can not, partly due to Thailand's defamation laws.

I can say though that you're ranking boats high on your list, even though some of these have been putting of their compulsory yearly shipyard visit and inspection in exchange for paying a fine. But I can not name names here.
This is one of the reasons I recommend talking to Steven or someone like him if you are going to be diving in the area. Unlike, for example, Cozumel or Bonaire, you can't really do sufficient research on the internet because the Phuket boats are mostly owned by rich (i.e. powerful) Thais and the people who really know what's going on have too much to lose to post publicly.

It's a win/win because you get accurate information and the booking dive shop gets a commission that the boat operators otherwise just keeps. It's like the old days of travel agents, you might as well get the advice and convenience since you'll pay the same either way.

There are a few boats that can't be booked by the shops, but Steven at least will still give the info on those boats so you can book them yourself if it's your best option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom