Canister clips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm entertaining whipping up a canister for my rig. Short term, it'll hold my "don't leave me floating out here" kit - dye pack, EPIRB/PLB, etc. and eliminate my need to tuck the long hose, thereby helping with skills development. Long term, it's a solid starting point to build a light from, should I choose to.

The canister is easy, o rings are easy. I'm hung up on the clips. I'm looking at Nielsen 83314-LALB latches, but don't like the fact that they bow out. What's everyone else using? Am I missing a model that bows in at the bottom, or is everyone just modifying these?

Those don't appear to be the locking type, am I wrong? I'm not overly impressed with their website haha

I'll get some photos as I go. I think I'm gonna have to buy or borrow a larger boring bar, I'm certain I don't have anything in my kit that'll do 6".

Yeah you're right. That one does not have the lock buttons. I took another look and cannot find the right one. They seem to have a full catalogue you can download. Might have to download and trawl through that.

Have you considered clipping the canister off on a bolt snap instead, provided what you are planning there is not too large.

I clip mine off to the rear crotch strap D ring with a boltsnap (with a big eye so it's easy to hold when clipping it) and it's just riding under the tank that way.

Sorry, I'm trying to hunt down latches for the lid, not mounting it to my rig. See the image below (robbed from an image search, no idea whose light it is) for reference. I plan to mount the canister to the right hip webbing, tucked back to the plate. That's easily accomplished with a couple worm-drive hose clamps and some webbing. I've got an SMB and spool combo on my rear d-ring already.

p-3300-havoc-10.jpg

Hadn't noticed the downloadable Nielsen catalog, looking into that now.

Edit: This is the best I can find. It shows two stainless locking spring latch part numbers:
-HC83314-42LALBSS
and
-HC83314-2LALBSS

I'm not sure what the omitted "4" means. Can't find a drawing of it, can't find the latches online anywhere but their website to see if I can find a picture. Hopefully that's a "turned in" latch, with the lock?

The next issue is, where's everyone buy these from? Nielsen says $150 minimum order from their online store. I need two $8 items hah.

No problem! They sell the hooks for the latches separately, don’t want to forgot those too!

I get it! I was looking under "canister parts," but the latches are under "light parts." My flawless, laser-like focus ruins me again!

$13 for the proper latch and strike from one source? Can't beat that! Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom