Black smb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Against a white hazy sky I can see black having an advantage. From above, against the water, I think the classical signal colours will win...

In foggy hazy conditions what counts is not color but contrast. black provides the ultimate contrast when you have light the situation is different and color can be helpful.

Black doesn’t seem like a good DSMB color. Length is better - the guys in the SAR aircraft get eye-numbed quickly staring out at the ocean. You have a 10’ sausage folded into a triangle shape - that pops out.

Black doesn’t seem like a good DSMB color. Length is better - the guys in the SAR aircraft get eye-numbed quickly staring out at the ocean. You have a 10’ sausage folded into a triangle shape - that pops out.
Only 10'? Who is going to see that? Here's a good starter SMB.
Coastal-Compact-2-life-raft-Valise.jpg

You'll have to clip it. It's slightly too large for a pocket.

Only 10'? Who is going to see that? Here's a good starter SMB.
View attachment 568528
You'll have to clip it. It's slightly too large for a pocket.

I might have to adjust my frog kick a little for that one. I could strap it neatly to the top of my DPV but there’s no clear notes pockets so I might have to pass.

Not convinced a strobe would help much unless it's dark.

That was the idea. I’m thinking isolated diver through the night. Has happened here a couple of times with the limited pool of boat charters available.

Well that raft certainly has its advantages.
I’ve only been rescued at sea three times while diving...twice in Hawaii and once in Floriduh, so I’m relatively new at this since I only started diving in 1961.
I never got too concerned since I figured that they’d either get me, or someone else would.
The few times that I broke down at sea in the US-by-God Navy were way more disconcerting.
When, after all the other ship’s alarms sound, the loss-of-gyro end of the world alarm goes off, now that’s real downer time.
To this day, I can’t describe what it sounds like...but when you hear it, you sure know what is as the ship powers down.

Back
Top Bottom