Photographers Using Doughnut BP/W BCD (dump valve location)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will be part of the transition to a wing from a jacket that you will no longer have a multitude of dump pull dongles to choose from. There is just the one, and it is on the left rear/bottom. That is where it is.

Uh-oh. I have been using a BP/W for years (single tank, doubles and rebreather). Unless I'm head down, I use the dump button on the end of the wing inflator hose.

I will not tell if you do not. I have a gimp left shoulder, lifting the inflator (operative word is inflator hose) over my head to vent is more difficult (for me) than reaching down and using the rear vent. But, I do not think there is like an actual rule, just kind of guidelines. What works, works. N

I've got myself an OMS Performance Mono Wing for the IQ LITE Backpack
This bit of gear lends itself quite nicely to installing a dump valve bottom right.

One of these type things

Standard Male Assembly for Blackplate Wing Bladders BCD | eBay

Just cut a hole, twice

I was looking to move from a Jacket style BCD to a wing style and have been looking at the simple travel friendly (OMS IQ lite or similar) systems incorporating single tank doughnut style bladders. For some reason though they all rear dump Left Side. […]

[…] Are there any right rear dump options out there that I have overlooked?

I suggest you took a look at Mares XR wing. It comes with right rear dump valve, but there's a left (blanked off) valve as well, should you ever wish to change back to a traditional setup. The change itself is very straightforward - simply unscrew the valve and move it over to the other side.

Since you mentioned that you're looking for a travel system, they do an entire pre-assembled lightweight rig, called either the Blue Battle or Silver Knight (the only difference being colour).
It comes with an alu plate, and all the metal bits are aluminium, so the entire rig weighs in at a mere 2.7 kg.
The wing itself is a narrow design (akin to oxycheq Mach series, or Apeks WTX-D) and dives very nicely.

OK! Thanks for all the useful comments.

I begin to understand that these Wing assemblies are produced for a very particular user profile and maybe this profile is not meant for me. I carry a rig (Camera/housing, Video Light, Strobe + multi spigot snoot, with Macro lenses and sometimes a gopro) all mounted on a single sided tray (Left hand handle) This is not a huge assembly but not small either and is all tethered around my left wrist. I can not swap hands with any fluidity. Also my principal situation where I need to dump is when studying macro on the bottom and I need increase my ballast to resist being pulled by current. I want to settle and stay put for, sometimes, minutes with the absolute minimum of movement for the benefit of all concerned - arcing up to dump from my shoulder pulls me up and away from the subject and can cause unfortunate issues.

Thank you Nemrod and rongoodman for explaining the W/BP protocol for me - that is useful.

I have seen right dumps on the Highland Doughnut (now XL?) and on some more 'hardcore' OMS which have redundant dumps and inflate hoses but neither seemed right for me. Thank you James79 and happy-diver for your DIY fixes - I might go this route but as I don't live next to (warm) water I will not be able to test at depth prior to investing in travel. Finally, thank you Bottom Surveyor for the Mares lead - this is a great recommendation, My local LS dives Mares so I will ask him about them.

Finally thanks for all the comments here, they have given me lots to think about.

No worries, gummybun. Glad you've found the suggestion of interest.

Here's a demo of the system in question (though he demo's the now discontinued Red Devil). But, like I said, the Silver Knight and/or Blue Battle are the exact same systems (bar the colour).

You can clearly see the switchable dump valve on the wing.

Let us know what you go for in the end. :)

+1 on the Mares XR

Or, you do like I do and flip the wing

I gave up a wrist tether when it cost me my camera on a bouncy safety stop. My camera is attached to the BCD with one of those extendable straps. Clipped short when I travel. If need be, never happened yet, I can just let go. I sling pony on the left side. So reel and smb are also on the left leaving right free for camera or what else is needed. Usually only time I dump any air is if I go up and that is done in small puffs. Just pull inlfator lightly with the left hand.

I begin to understand that these Wing assemblies are produced for a very particular user profile and maybe this profile is not meant for me. I carry a rig (Camera/housing, Video Light, Strobe + multi spigot snoot, with Macro lenses and sometimes a gopro) all mounted on a single sided tray (Left hand handle) This is not a huge assembly but not small either and is all tethered around my left wrist. I can not swap hands with any fluidity.

I would rethink this if I were you - bigger issue than where the dump valve is located. You should be able to get both hands free for safety reasons. You should be able to swap hands and clip the camera off if necessary. There are many situations (entanglement, free flow, gas sharing, etc..) where you really benefit from having the use of both hands. Trying to do an emergency procedure with a camera tied to your wrist sounds difficult.

Here is a video that I made for the class I give at Beneath the Sea on photography in challenging conditions. This is one option, where the tether is clipped to my crotch strap D ring, but I have a second clip that I use to clip it off tightly if I need both hands. Could also do this with a shoulder anchor point, etc...

You should be able to get both hands free for safety reasons.

Thank you doctormike and steve_c, I will investigate and likely adopt your advice as it seems sensible. I suppose the wrist tether is a hold over from my earliest camera rigs, and while I tried a spring retractor clip once it left me badly bruised so I left it behind. This coil type clip might play out better but I must say that I rather like to avoid additional cables that can snag - I will look at placement options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom