Shop air quality testing standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nuvair Pro 4 does not measure oil residue (VOC) if I understand correctly?
Anyway, the technology seems to be readily available but not yet economical for scuba applications...

Anyway, the technology seems to be readily available but not yet economical for scuba applications...
Hmmm. I wonder what the lawsuit for providing bad air (in America, I understand y'all don't sue like we do) costs in money and stress. I always bought the best real time monitor available. That one looks like a dandy.

What CO meter have you purchased ?

My dive buddy has a COOTWO meter he got after getting CO poisoning in Hawaii last year.

the good ones I know will test right before a filter change. logic being if the air was good before the old filters came out, it will be just as good if not better with brand new cartridges. Obviously room for error, but since these are all pretty much pre-packed, it's not much of a concern I have

That would be ideal to test for the end of life, but a shop could put a new filter in before the air quality test to make sure it passes. Obviously though that means they actually did change the filter not all that long ago if they are testing quarterly. Better than nothing.

That would be ideal to test for the end of life, but a shop could put a new filter in before the air quality test to make sure it passes. Obviously though that means they actually did change the filter not all that long ago if they are testing quarterly. Better than nothing.
that's the point. If you check with new filters of course it's going to pass unless you did something wrong, but you want to test before the filter change to ensure that the last bunch of air was good and see if you need to adjust your interval. Doing it on any time interval is ridiculous because the shops in cave country whos compressors run for hours upon hours every day of the week vs. say my local dive shop who probably runs his once per week for 3-4 hours is a bit unfair since those tests are about $300 each

that's the point. If you check with new filters of course it's going to pass unless you did something wrong, but you want to test before the filter change to ensure that the last bunch of air was good and see if you need to adjust your interval. Doing it on any time interval is ridiculous because the shops in cave country whos compressors run for hours upon hours every day of the week vs. say my local dive shop who probably runs his once per week for 3-4 hours is a bit unfair since those tests are about $300 each

Wow. My tests run 1/3 of that.

I test before the filter change for the reasons you mention. But the pros (who maintain the compressors for FDs) test before and after the change, which is certainly safer in case of a packing problem with the filters.

Wow. My tests run 1/3 of that.

I test before the filter change for the reasons you mention. But the pros (who maintain the compressors for FDs) test before and after the change, which is certainly safer in case of a packing problem with the filters.

I can get mine done for around $100, just depends on who you go to, if you do it yourself or pay to have it done, shipping, etc.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is of the shop doing it the way they do, but the air quality test report on the wall was over one year old. When I questioned it, she said "we test every couple of years, there are no standards that we need to follow"

I'm not sure what the reasoning is of the shop doing it the way they do, but the air quality test report on the wall was over one year old. When I questioned it, she said "we test every couple of years, there are no standards that we need to follow"
That is correct, there is no scuba law. PADI used to at least have you test quarterly or semiannually, but now that's just for 5 star centers.

FL statute 381.895
It is a 2nd degree misdemeanor not to test every 3 months in FL.
It doesn't apply if you have your own compressor and using for personal recreation. If you are providing air for sale or part of a dive charter, class, beach dive, etc..., it does apply.

A fill station on Cozumel just bought a unit that does, O2, CO2, CO, VOC and Dewpoint and will be putting it online. Yes they cost a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom