Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Divermikey Here are some pics of my rEvo III Mini, with the size L cover that @broncobowsher linked above.

Seems like just about a perfect fit, to me.

That's with no tanks, no computers, Don Six stand removed, DR Nomad wing, wireless AI transmitters are installed, so no Dreams or SPGs, and no loop hoses or BOV (or DSV, of course).

If it holds up reasonably well to one round trip worth of flights, I will be more than happy.

2020-02-15 17.36.34.jpg

2020-02-15 17.36.49.jpg

2020-02-15 17.37.10.jpg

@Divermikey Here are some pics of my rEvo III Mini, with the size L cover that @broncobowsher linked above.

Seems like just about a perfect fit, to me.

That's with no tanks, no computers, Don Six stand removed, DR Nomad wing, wireless AI transmitters are installed, so no Dreams or SPGs, and no loop hoses or BOV (or DSV, of course).

If it holds up reasonably well to one round trip worth of flights, I will be more than happy.

View attachment 568205
View attachment 568206
View attachment 568207
Stuart, Looks good. I went ahead and ordered a large for mine as well. didn't think it fit my micro very well, so I ordered an XL arriving today. I'll post some pics when I get it installed. I don't go to Roatan till April, so I'll be able to read your trip report after you get back from Utila.
Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. And thanks to everyone else for sharing ideas as well!

I have the XL on the Micro. and it will cover the tanks fairly well if they are attached.

Valves removed, steel 3L bottles, I know it was over 50 pounds when I scaled it after I got home. Want to say 52 pounds? It was more than the checked baggage allowance would have allowed, I know that. Try not to make it look as heavy as it really is as you swing it into the overhead bin. I would put it at the front of the bin so there was structure of the side wall of the bin to hold the weight, front as that is where everything shifts to when landing. Paid a little extra for early boarding to make sure there was good overhead storage space for it.

Valves removed, steel 3L bottles, I know it was over 50 pounds when I scaled it after I got home. Want to say 52 pounds? It was more than the checked baggage allowance would have allowed, I know that. Try not to make it look as heavy as it really is as you swing it into the overhead bin. I would put it at the front of the bin so there was structure of the side wall of the bin to hold the weight, front as that is where everything shifts to when landing. Paid a little extra for early boarding to make sure there was good overhead storage space for it.
My micro weighs 31 without bottles. I have bottles down on Roatan, so that's helps a bunch. I end up putting a small jug or 2 of sorb in my checked bag. Flying business class gets me the 70lb bags, which helps a lot.

I just weighed mine, for anyone that cares. With the backpack rain cover on it (which weighs almost nothing), my digital luggage scale says 36#.

Now, I am really debating going to find a hardside suitcase, putting in that, and packing with some very light weight foam or something. I am a bit concerned that Avianca won't let me carry it on. Particularly on the flight from San Salvador to Roatan.

The email I just got from Avianca says carry-ons are limited to 10kg (which is 22#) and 55cm x 25 x 35. I measured it and the height is right at 55cm, but the width is a little over 35. And obviously it's way over the weight limit.

If I go to board the plane in San Salvador and they make me gate check it, I'm a bit worried about how it might get treated, considering it has nothing but a very thin nylon cover to protect it.

I just weighed mine, for anyone that cares. With the backpack rain cover on it (which weighs almost nothing), my digital luggage scale says 36#.

Now, I am really debating going to find a hardside suitcase, putting in that, and packing with some very light weight foam or something. I am a bit concerned that Avianca won't let me carry it on. Particularly on the flight from San Salvador to Roatan.

The email I just got from Avianca says carry-ons are limited to 10kg (which is 22#) and 55cm x 25 x 35. I measured it and the height is right at 55cm, but the width is a little over 35. And obviously it's way over the weight limit.

If I go to board the plane in San Salvador and they make me gate check it, I'm a bit worried about how it might get treated, considering it has nothing but a very thin nylon cover to protect it.
Exactly, for 3 years I've been using a Pelican Storm 2720 case which my micro fits perfectly and I can get it down to #48 if I leave out the loop and inflator hose for the wing. If I ever have to abide by the 50lb rule instead of #70 then i'm still ok and not paying any overage fees. I do have a rider on my homeowners policy that covers my rEvo if the worst happens.
Basically I'm still undecided on whether or not to carry on my machine. I have a friend with a JJ and he checks it in a hard side suitcase and has had no problem yet....

Used the 70# when going to Truk. Checked the rEvo. Trick if you are pinching pennys is you only need one leg of the days flights to qualify you. Don't need the whole flight in business class. For me one leg was a $100 upgrade, which got both my bags checked for free at the 70 pound limit. I would loved to have the whole flight upgraded but that was thousands of dollars more. The way back I did a little better and spent the $300 for the red eye. Actual comfortable sleep on a plane.

I'm now on the fence. My buddy that I'm meeting has flown all over the world (from England). Truk multiple times. US multiple times. Sri Lanka. Egypt. Etc., etc.. He always checks his (former) JJ or X in a regular hardsided suitcase.

I went to Costco and found a hardsided Samsonite that measured out to appear to be the perfect size for my rEvo. And the box said the suitcase is 6#. So, in theory, I would have 8# allowance I could use for padding and be good to go.

So tempting... I'm really worried that the airplane from San Salvador to Roatan won't have big enough overhead storage and I will be forced to gate check my CCR, if I carry it on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom