Is rental car needed if staying at Casa Mexicana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you don't. I've stayed there and I didn't. There were plenty of places to get food in walking distance, and souvenirs, and...the Mega was a fairly short walk down the road, for my supermarket needs.

Richard.

Agreed, no car and no scooter! But do consider a one day car rental to tour the island if it is your first trip there.

If you decide on 3P’s and Casa Mexicana contact Jeanie at 3 P’s and tell her your room choice (ocean/town) and dates. She can generally negotiate better rates with a guaranteed room number than any individual.

How does it work with getting a taxi back to the airport when you leave? Does the front desk person at Casa Mexicana call for a taxi?

When we were in Coz last year, we stayed with friends who were renting a house. They've been going to Coz for almost 10 years now, he dives and she does not. They like to rent a house with pool. They always rent a car, and so we drove all over the island.

I prefer the idea of staying in town, but again not sure how that works with getting from airport to Casa Mexicana and then back to airport at end of trip.
Thanks!

How does it work with getting a taxi back to the airport when you leave? Does the front desk person at Casa Mexicana call for a taxi?

I prefer the idea of staying in town, but again not sure how that works with getting from airport to Casa Mexicana and then back to airport at end of trip.

When arrivIng, there’s a taxi stand at the airport right after clearing customs where you can get a ticket for fare downtown at a set price. On the way back, there’s a spot right across the street from Casa Mexicana where the taxis hang out - super easy to snag one

Stayed at CM / dove with 3Ps and didn’t feel the need for a rental car once

When we were in Coz last year, we stayed with friends who were renting a house. They've been going to Coz for almost 10 years now, he dives and she does not. They like to rent a house with pool. They always rent a car, and so we drove all over the island.

Thanks!
Transfers are easy. As another said, when you arrive go straight to the shuttle booth, tell where you are staying and how many. They will give you tickets. Then its out the front door and to the shuttles that are waiting. They drop you off at CM’s door.

Leaving is just as easy. The staff at CM will wheel out your luggage and flag down a taxi for you if you like. CM is on the main drag with taxis everywhere. Very easy to get a taxis too should you decide to go a little farther out in town to eat.

Edit. If you are a light sleeper there is at least one dog that is a bit yappy at/near CM, esp early am when they are getting the breakfast buffet setup.

Ahhhhh the dog. He starts barking when the staff starts setting up for breakfast. He's actually a pretty effective alarm clock, especially if your room faces inward to the breakfast area.

Cabs are everywhere. No need to rent a car unless headed to Punta Sur or the East side. There are only a few restaurants that are beyond walking distance for us and I'm 50 with a wrecked knee.

When it comes time to leave, step out front and I would bet lunch there will be a cab across the street if not driving by.

Safe travels,
Jay

I've stayed all over the island and never rented a car (other than one afternoon to drive to the eastern side for a beach day). Taxis are cheap, especially if you use pesos.

Ditto. Renting a car to spend a week on a small island full of taxis and much within walking distance is just unnecessary expense and hassle, and maybe a bit dangerous for visitors not familiar with the local traffic patterns and driving habits.

I've been to Cozumel six times and never rented a car.

It's been just over a year since I was there, but I think the prices are still the same. The airport shuttle is 81 pesos per person to take you to Casa Mexicana. You can also arrange a private transfer for your group, which may be cheaper depending on the number of people. Returning to the airport will be by cab, which is 102 pesos for the cab, up to four people. If you have 5 or 6, it's a little bit more. You can get a taxi from the taxi stand right across the street from Casa Mexicana. If you ask them to call one, they might charge you a fee for the pick up.

From Casa Mexicana, you can walk everywhere you need to go all week. Tres Pelícanos and Aldora are both only a few blocks away and will take care of getting you to the boat.

I'll pile on. IMO having a rental car on Cozumel, especially if your hotel is in town, is an unneeded expense and more trouble than it's worth. I've been to Cozumel 35-40 times and I never needed a car for daily use. We used to rent a van for our regular around the island excursion (there are usually 8 or more of us), but I got really tired of being the designated driver for the traveling party; these days we hire a taxi van for the day. For about 20-25 bucks per person we have a driver who takes us to all our favorite spots, waits patiently for us to be ready to move to the next one, and provides a running commentary between stops. It's well worth it to everyone and I can enjoy a few adult beverages with no fear of running afoul of local law enforcement.

Ditto. Renting a car to spend a week on a small island full of taxis and much within walking distance is just unnecessary expense and hassle, and maybe a bit dangerous for visitors not familiar with the local traffic patterns and driving habits.

I've been to Coz dozens of times, and usually stay at Casa Mex. On my husband's 1st visit (he's a non-diver) I told him not to rent a car--instead, hire a taxi if he wanted to see the island. When I returned late afternoon (after 3 dives) he was looking a tad "sheepish".....said he had something to tell me. Yes, he had rented a car....yes, he caused a traffic accident......yes, he damaged the other vehicle.......yes, he didn't see the "stop sign", said it was obscured by a palm tree.......yes, he negotiated a settlement with the other driver.

The "positive side" was this: the other vehicle was transporting/delivering a dozen or so lunches to various people working in the area. Some of the lunches were topsy-turvy all over the inside of her car--she gave him some of the "intact" lunches. He gave one to the car rental guy, a witness to the accident, saved one for me.:D Fortunately, the car he rented was so beat up already, the car rental guy was not at all concerned about more dings.

Thank you everyone for the feedback on taxis from/to airport. I have no desire to rent a car since we'll be in town, and from the little we were in town with our friends last year, I would not want the hassle, why have extra expense, and you can walk to just about anywhere you want to go.

No rental car for us! I guess I started thinking that way just b/c our friends always rent a car - but they rent a house outside town, the wife does not dive and likes to go into town sometimes while he is diving, and then she meets him for late lunch/drinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom