Scubapro-Uwatec and price gouging on battery replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe you can transfer the warranties, but I'm not 100%.

The new Aladin Teks and Aladin Primes have user replacable batteries. They seem like great little computers and are well priced IMO. I believe they will be available in like 3 weeks.

NU2DIVING,

Welcome the the discussion board and also to a great hobby!

Is it an exceptional price?
You might not know this but Instructors, shop owners and dive operators get a Pro-discount on new items (30+%) which are prices well below what us average people can buy at, even at discount stores. I know instructors who buy new items every few years and then sell their old items to students at nearly what they paid.

The smartcom is a very nice computer which will last you for years

rhadamanthus:
This link should shed some light on their policy, and why they have it in effect. Scroll down to the battery for life portion.

http://www.scubapro.com/consumeralert/consumeralert.asp

Rhad
Does this mean that if I pay twice as much to buy it here from an authorized dealer that I'm not eligiable for the battery for life offer?
From what I read, only if the computer is purchased from an authorized US or Canadian dealer. I followed a couple links but could only find that the computers are sold here, not that they are supported.
Guess I'll have to write the company for that answer.
But, that adds another question to my mix, "If I buy all my equipment over seas, then none of it is legal in the states, is that a reasonable extension to this type of policy?"
**NOTE TO SELF: User changeable batteries!**

Tom

ste:
It can be a really bad for your pocket when you are going to change the battery for an Aladin....but:
1) after how many years/ dives (after 7 year $200 = $28.50, after 5 years = $40.00)
2) There is a check on your computer when the UWATEC change the battery???
How many batteries are you going to change with a M1 (Mares) in a year or 7 Years and how many dives with a set of batteries.

Well, to answer your question regarding the M1...

I average about 40 dives per set (2) of AAA batteries, with 10 to 15 of those dives being night or deep dives where I turn the light on and leave the light on for over 1 hour. I use the M1 in bottom timer mode durring deco dives and mixed gas dives, in water that is 3c in temperature, to a maximum depth of 372 feet to date. I log only about 160 dives per year, so my battery costs run about $9.00 CDN yearly for Duracell Alkaline AAA batteries, purchased in bulk packs of 10 per pack.

Does that answer your question?

RSdiver:
NU2DIVING,
You might not know this but Instructors, shop owners and dive operators get a Pro-discount on new items (30+%) which are prices well below what us average people can buy at, even at discount stores. I know instructors who buy new items every few years and then sell their old items to students at nearly what they paid.

Your talking about "key man pricing".

The manufacturer will sell to an instructor or dive master semi-direct via the LDS, at a price below what the LDS can purchase the product for. They normally will limit the number of individuals they extend this to (usually 2) at the LDS, and the LDS normally has to provide the name, certification level and certification number of the "key man" to the manufacturer as proof. And it works! If I use my Apex ATX200 durring an OW course, the students tend to ask for that reg when they purchase one. If I am using my Mares Abyys, then they will ask for that. In short, a student is influenced by what the instructor is using for gear when making gear purchases. It is in the manufacturers best interest to try an outfit instructors with their gear, as far as advertising goes, it's probably cheaper to outfit every instructor with gear this way than the annual cost of advertisment in a single trade magazine. Plus it is most likely more effective.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. My istructor said that she will sell the unit to me for $400.00 and it is bran spankin new. I do not think thhat she paid any less for the unit but I am not worried about it if she did. She may have even paid a little more. I am thinking that by the time that I need new batteries for it I will be a more skilled diver and want or need a more sophisticated as I plan on eventually getting into tec\wreck diving. The SmartCom is way overkill for me right now but I plan to use it to its fullest potential and eventually get beyond its capabilities. At which time I will get the required gear. I am also certain that if there is a problem with the unit or I do end up needing replace the batteries I can just give to her and she can send it in for me. I noticed that someone on this board was selling the exact same unit with ten or so dives on it for $475.00 so I am pretty sure that 400.00 is a pretty good deal for a new unit.

Thanks,
Mike

Yep, that is why I never buy Scubapro anything. The price gouging on a battery replacement did that for me. Mares is also in same boat on battery replacements. Suunto seems best to me.

I have found out that a battery replacement fee for the Uwatec Nitrox Pro has jumped to C$200. The Canadian agent for Scubapro confirmed this. Is there anyone else out there concerned about this rip off of the dive consumer? Is there any way around this?

It seems that I have to shop for a new computer but definitely not a Scubapro brand.

DK...

Not familiar with this model...but the older Z models had all their internals covered/sealed behind a rubber membrane...in order to change the battery(s) the rubber membrane has to be removed...battery(s) replaced...and a new rubber membrane installed/sealed and the re-assembled unit fully pressure tested...

There's considerably more involved than simply changing a battery...

Not a rip off...and if your computer has a rubber membrane...there is no way around this...

Part of the cost is also return shipping to the California service center...and don't forget CDN/USD exchange...

Hence the $200. CDN cost...when taking everything into consideration...is not expensive...

W.M...

I just can't believe we're still relying on stinkin' batteries(!) 15 years after this thread died. If we would just use micro fusion generators already, there would be no need to revive these threads.

DK...

Not familiar with this model...but the older Z models had all their internals covered/sealed behind a rubber membrane...in order to change the battery(s) the rubber membrane has to be removed...battery(s) replaced...and a new rubber membrane installed/sealed and the re-assembled unit fully pressure tested...

There's considerably more involved than simply changing a battery...

Not a rip off...and if your computer has a rubber membrane...there is no way around this...

Part of the cost is also return shipping to the California service center...and don't forget CDN/USD exchange...

Hence the $200. CDN cost...when taking everything into consideration...is not expensive...

W.M...
No need to replace the rubber membrane. It can be reused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom