Black smb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black is more visible in hazy, foggy conditions than other colors. It's a popular color chosen by divers off the English coast.

I am not stating that black is not more visible in hazy/foggy conditions but I am stating I have really hard time believing it. It just strikes me odd that in conditions that gray scale like conditions which the sky and sea would be on a hazy and foggy day, that something black would standout. On hazy/foggy days the sea tends to reflect black or really dark grey due to the lack of color being filtered out of ambient light. How does black against black reflect more light back to someone observing than an object that is brightly colored of a hue that contrasts with its surroundings? Just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain?

-Z

What would be the situation an all black smb would be useful? I get half and half. But all black?

Gothic dive parties.

had a really hard time seeing his smb. Carl Molitor, the DM, said pink or orange is the way to go.
And 6ft high with a bit of width. Those skinny, short ones are hard to see in any swell.

And 6ft high with a bit of width. Those skinny, short ones are hard to see in any swell.

I like the wider ones (like the Dive Rite one that doubles as an expedient lift bag) but they become a chore to carry cleanly.

The hang pocket off the bottom edge of a BP for a larger DSMB (like my DR one) doesn’t work for me because I end up sitting on it when I sit down on the boat. Hanging a big ol’ buoy off my butt D-ring doesn’t seem to work for me, either. I don’t know...maybe I need psychological counseling because I have a phobia about appearing like Jed Clampett’s family wagon.

So, I got the OMS 2m skinnies (one orange, one yellow) and am going to sew a small loop on top of each so that I can hang a small strobe to augment the detectability of the buoy if I’m deploying in rough conditions where I think the crew will have trouble spotting my Slim-Fast version.

I like the wider ones (like the Dive Rite one that doubles as an expedient lift bag) but they become a chore to carry cleanly.

The hang pocket off the bottom edge of a BP for a larger DSMB (like my DR one) doesn’t work for me because I end up sitting on it when I sit down on the boat. Hanging a big ol’ buoy off my butt D-ring doesn’t seem to work for me, either. I don’t know...maybe I need psychological counseling because I have a phobia about appearing like Jed Clampett’s family wagon.

So, I got the OMS 2m skinnies (one orange, one yellow) and am going to sew a small loop on top of each so that I can hang a small strobe to augment the detectability of the buoy if I’m deploying in rough conditions where I think the crew will have trouble spotting my Slim-Fast version.

Great idea but I am interested to know what strobe you plan on attaching this will not have the effect of toppling the top of the DSMB over?

-Z

A bigger SMB should still fit in drysuit)wetsuit pockets. Not convinced a strobe would help much unless it's dark. From a UK perspective, we have a lot of daylight in the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom