Anyone a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THAT WAS A MONEY QUOTE! Way to go bro (you are definitely an ugly brother from another mother, you mutha!)!
And I always thought you were the ugly one! :D:rofl3:

Cheers -

I'm a tank bitch. Absolutely love helping with the classes and seeing that smile when new divers come out of the water after their last checkout dive. I'm also on the county dive team and still love diving...any diving...whenever I can.

No regrets whatsoever.

Good luck,
Jay

Most has been covered.
If you don't plan to work as a DM and it is not a step on your path to instructor then don't do it.

Others have suggested Master Diver instead but if you are looking for instructor level knowledge and valuable skill development I would not go with PADI since that is not what their MSD is about, nor is it advertised to be.

You would want to do the master diver from NASE or another similar program. I know the NASE program is very intense and I have heard NAUI has a similar program but can't speak to that or others with any authority.

NAUI, SEI, PDIC, and NASE have master diver programs that are not recognition for having a bunch of cards. They are stand-alone courses with Instructor level knowledge and skill requirements minus the teaching component.

That said, it's going to be the instructor that makes the course and it should be a course you can fail if you're not willing to put in the work. Before I went inactive with SEI the last Master Diver course I taught was one student and it took him 6 months to complete to my satisfaction.

Several pool sessions, even though he was rescue certed by me and had taken AOW and UW Nav as well, roughly 20 additional dives, and some free diving skills.

Course fee was 600 bucks but he spent at least that on travel, fills, lodging, etc. by the time we were done.
He went on to DM later with another agency and breezed through that.

The minimum standards for the courses are not overly impressive as written. But a good instructor will throw as much as you can handle and a bit more at you to make sure you are worth giving the card to.
I also recommend to anyone considering the DM route to take at least one good tech course first to get a dose of reality that is missing from many recreational paths. I didn't and as a result, found out the hard way when I did get some tech training that I had a poor understanding of much of what diving at higher levels is about.

A good tech course will tell you the risks that some recreational programs seem to gloss over or minimize in favor of the sun, fun, and new people line of BS. A DM class will not make you a better diver. You should be an excellent diver before starting it. I've seen DM's I wouldn't get in the pool with.

Back
Top Bottom