Can't seem to get enough weight to acheive neutral on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Carrig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning folks,

I'm 215 lbs, 6'1 "

Fresh water diving.

Using an Aqualung Aquaflex 5m suit and an Aqualung Zuma BCD.

I've got 16 lbs loaded into the Zuma, and fully deflated, but still am positive.

The Zuma will only hold two 4 lb weights in each pocket. Tried to go with a 5lb but the dimensions of the weight were too big for the pockets.

I'm thinking I need somewhere around 4 lbs. more, and really don't want to use a weight belt if I don't have to.

Does Aqualung offer accessories to add more weight to the Zuma ?

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Switch to a steel tank will give you a few pounds negativity.

Also note that you will need to add another 5lbs to offset your breathing gas (I guess you dive an AL80?).

If you are neutral with a full tank, you will not be able to stay neutral when it empties and you will not be able to hold a safety stop or control yourself otherwise.

Steel tanks might help

The more you dive you will gradually need less weight (usually with experience) so most likely this problem will solve itself eventually

Definitely weights on the tank, since its a back inflate you may find that helpful anyway.

Time and practice may reduce your weight needs some. Also getting some dives on a new wetsuit may make it a but less buoyant.

Getting steel tanks might do the job for local diving, but if you plan to travel they’re not often available.

Good morning folks,

I'm 215 lbs, 6'1 "

Fresh water diving.

I've got 16 lbs loaded into the Zuma, and fully deflated, but still am positive.

The Zuma will only hold two 4 lb weights in each pocket. Tried to go with a 5lb but the dimensions of the weight were too big for the pockets.

I'm thinking I need somewhere around 4 lbs. more, and really don't want to use a weight belt if I don't have to.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !
weight belt...

Add-on trim pockets (including those from Aqualung) are usually 5lb max, so you can add up to 10lb to the cylinder band. Unfortunately, with the Zuma that will still be in line with your waist and none of that weight will be positioned higher up on your back to balance your center of gravity. I expect you will find it difficult to impossible to achieve a flat trim position in the water. A couple of pounds can be added higher up by clipping an ankle weight around the valve, which will help a lot. I would not have recommended a light weight Zuma for your diving needs due to the weight distribution, but also because it is not as durable as their other heavier BCDs and loading it up with maximum weight will likely hasten signs of wear. It is best for tropical water.

If you bought it new within the last 30 days, you do have an option to trade it in/up and pay the difference under their 30 Day Satisfaction Guaranty.
Aqua Lung Returns and Exchanges

Good morning folks,

I'm 215 lbs, 6'1 "

Fresh water diving.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Mark...

As well as adding trim weight pockets...you may want to try ''shot packs'' as opposed to hard ballast...they're more friendly to your BC and will shape shift where hard weights will not...I swear by ''Sea Pearls'' shot packs...

Assuming you're diving with a 3AL 80...you may want to upgrade to HP 100 steel cylinders...check out DGX for prices...if you're going to wear ballast...it may as well be something you can breath from...

Hope this helps...

W.M...

Mark...

As well as adding trim weight pockets...you may want to try ''shot packs'' as opposed to hard ballast...they're more friendly to your BC and will shape shift where hard weights will not...I swear by ''Sea Pearls'' shot packs...

Assuming you're diving with a 3AL 80...you may want to upgrade to HP 100 steel cylinders...check out DGX for prices...if you're going to wear ballast...it may as well be something you can breath from...

Hope this helps...

W.M...

That's really good info too, much thanks !! New to this game and still figuring it all out. Great fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom