Trip Report Trip Report - Get Wrecked with Emperor Superior - June 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We recently joined the Get Wrecked red-sea liveaboard trip Emperor Superior.

The Boat
The Emperor Superior is a typical red sea liveaboard, very well designed boat for diving. She can accommodate up to 20 divers – but total 17 divers in our trip.
Comfortable cabins with shower delivering warm water with more than enough pressure, very relaxing space on the decks and a spacious dining room with 3 large tables. Unfortunately no camera room.

The food was great for a liveaboard - the chef was really amazing - good mixing of Western and very tasty Egyptian cuisine; free wine on every diner. They have a coffee machine with excellent coffee at small cost, but free if you happy with Nescafe instant coffee. Beer and better quality wine are also available at extra cost.

Main deck with large dive deck on rear of ship. Every diver gets a basket with number (cabin number) on it to place your equipment and a tank – refilled immediately after every dive. Nitrox is included; vary 28 – 32% and 25% in one occasion due to some problem on their Nitrox system.

There is a shower head / rinse station and two toilets at dive deck. There is space to hang your clothes to dry as well as clothespins all along the main deck. On the upper deck is more seating, loungers & bean bags.

All crew did outstanding job, they always ready to help you – even before you ask.

The Diving
Before every dive we were given a dive briefing by one of the two (2) dive guides – very good briefing. They were not always accompany us in the water. Most of us are experienced divers; and many of us prefer to dive with buddy unguided.

We also had two zodiacs to bring us to the dive sites precisely for few site but mostly we jump from the boat.

Total we had 22 dives in 6 diving days. On the first and last night, the boat moored at Hurghada new Marina – sailed up on the next day morning and return to Marina a day before check-out day.
  • Day 1 – 3 dives : Check dive at Gota Abu Hamada, Salem Express and night diving at middle reef (very quiet – not much to see).
  • Day 2 – 4 dives: Giannis, Carnatic, Chrisoula and night diving at Shaab Mahmoud Beacon Rock.
  • Day 3 – 4 dives: Dunraven, Thistlegorm (3 x incl. night dive)
  • Day 4 – 4 dives: Thistlegorm, Kingston, Ulysses and night dive at the Barge (my favorite night dive in Egypt so far).
  • Day 5 – 4 dives: Rosalie Moller (2x), Poseidon Garden reef Shaab El Erg (sorry, boring site) and night dive at Dolphin House (not much to see)
  • Day 6 – 3 dives: Dolphin House (very short sighting with 5 dolphins), El-Miniya and a Fishing boat at Hurghada port (love this site).
My favorite wrecks are Giannis, Carnatic, Chrisoula, El-Miniya and the Fishing boat.

Most of dives had no to mild currents except at Thistlegorm where we experienced strong current during the night dive.

Here few pics

48066467373_716bea0769_c.jpg
Giannis D-6090610.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

48066181661_4dd9d3730b_z.jpg
Salem Express-6080535.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

48067194752_040fe130fa_c.jpg
Moray eel at the Barge-6121670.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

48103457211_fa69059c58_z.jpg
Chrisoula-6090962.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

48102472671_33b484c8e1_z.jpg
Giannis D-6090631.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

48107602368_c1e1e957fa_z.jpg
Hurghada Fishing boat-6132127.jpg by Wisnu Purwanto, on Flickr

For more pics please check my flickr album for this trip here

Egypt 2019

will add more pics to this album.

Thanks for the trip report.
What is the budget per head for this safari?

Thanks for the trip report.
What is the budget per head for this safari?
We paid less than €1000 per head for this trip.
You can find other boat cost less or more.
Egypt red sea liveaboard is very good value lob, probably the cheapest in the world with good to outstanding service.

I was in may of 2019 on board of the Emperor Superior. The cabin #1 was horribel. Lots of fumes of Diesel, gave me a headache for 2 days. Technician could not resolve the issue, but after a few days we got used to is and it slowely became better. Our clothes smelled like diesel the whole holiday. They eventually gave me a discount of 100€ for my next booking with the emperor fleet. No thanks, I will never step on an Emperor boat again.
So, dont book this cabin, I have read also some other reviews with the same issues.
I booked via Liveaboard.com and the pictures of all boats are fake. Fake in the sense of outdated. Its like a Tinder date showing up 20 years older then the picture?

The dives, yes amazing, like the review above states. The crew did their very best to make us feel welcome and I enjoyed the holiday in my smelly room.
The dive guides did not go with us a lot, which is fine by me. I loved that.

I am still looking for a review website with decent reviews, not just that the food was nice and the dives were amazing. It is Egyt, af course the food is nice, the people friendly and the diving great... I am talking about reviews on the organisation, the service, the boats, the extra unforeseen costs, etc .

Thanks for the report -- I'm doing the same trip in October of this year on the same boat --

I was in may of 2019 on board of the Emperor Superior. The cabin #1 was horribel. Lots of fumes of Diesel, gave me a headache for 2 days. Technician could not resolve the issue, but after a few days we got used to is and it slowely became better. Our clothes smelled like diesel the whole holiday. They eventually gave me a discount of 100€ for my next booking with the emperor fleet. No thanks, I will never step on an Emperor boat again.
So, dont book this cabin, I have read also some other reviews with the same issues.
I booked via Liveaboard.com and the pictures of all boats are fake. Fake in the sense of outdated. Its like a Tinder date showing up 20 years older then the picture?

The dives, yes amazing, like the review above states. The crew did their very best to make us feel welcome and I enjoyed the holiday in my smelly room.
The dive guides did not go with us a lot, which is fine by me. I loved that.

I am still looking for a review website with decent reviews, not just that the food was nice and the dives were amazing. It is Egyt, af course the food is nice, the people friendly and the diving great... I am talking about reviews on the organisation, the service, the boats, the extra unforeseen costs, etc .

Sorry to hear your experience is not to your expectation.
We were in cabin 9 - don't have any issue with fume of diesel. never heard this issues from other guests.
Might be they managed to fix it.
To my recall, no unforeseen cost on this trip - as well as our other LOB trips. we live in Egypt and familiar with LOB, so we knew, tip is always expected by guide and crew; alcohol is certainly more expensive than in on-line store, but having a cold beer after third dive is much more refreshing than taking from my fridge at home.

@Wisnu sounds great. I've discovered the best way to measure time is to have a child. As they say, the days crawl by while the years fly. People ask me how my kids are and they usually guess 2-3 years too low!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom