Coronavirus affecting flights to Singapore or Hong Kong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of diving in Indonesia (Ambon or Lembeh) in mid April.

Hmmmmmmm
I don't want to get inconvenienced if I fly through Singapore (to Manado, Lembeh).
I think you will be fine. Singapore is very dependent on tourism dollars and logistic fees. The government here will throw everything and the kitchen sink at it to make sure that the country does not land on the travel ban list from other countries.

I was thinking of diving in Indonesia (Ambon or Lembeh) in mid April.

Hmmmmmmm
I don't want to get inconvenienced if I fly through Singapore (to Manado, Lembeh).

I’m due to head to Ambon towards the end of April as well. I fly end of March to Singapore, have a few days there, then head to Sorong for about 3 weeks then to Ambon. I hope everything will be ok!

Mines from Amsterdam was 200 euro more expensive in 2 weeks, and since I booked 30 euro more expensive than the price I paid. I would expect a pricedrop, instead of higher prices.

I wonder if it’s because there are now no flights to HK and China (for us, at least) and reduced scheduling to some other Asian gateway cities so they figure less supply.....I would have expected demand to still be proportional to not increase prices.

Odd. One would think that they would be getting cheaper in hopes of encouraging people to fly.
Most of the important european carriers like AF, BA, KL or LH have suspended their flights to China, hence there is a shortage on plane seats to Asia. In the same time some travelers will still need to go through alternative routes to China or the Phils/any other close country avoiding the usual HKG route, hence going through hubs like SIN or KUL or TPE, meaning a higher demand pressure on those flights.

The price level doesn't impact much for the customer when it comes to the "safety" feeling. There is very low price elasticity with safety concerns, you will not attract more people who are afraid of getting sick by lowering the prices (likewise for unreliable companies some people would never travel with, whatever the price). Those who still travel NEED to travel, hence the price can rise with rather few concerns on the demand elasticity.
Hence the companies prefer to secure their global turnover than taking the risk of cost opportunities.

I think you will be fine. Singapore is very dependent on tourism dollars and logistic fees. The government here will throw everything and the kitchen at it to make sure that the country does not land on the travel ban list from other countries.

Also flying SFO to SIN on 4/10 then to Manado 4/11. Everything I am reading says the cases in Singapore are increasing, but that Singapore is a model of how to handle the situation (i.e encouraging testing, reduced or no medical fees, some $ reimbursement) and people as a result are willing to get tested. Unlike say China... At any rate, I figure a lot is going to change in the next 8 weeks and whatever the situation is, it likely won't look like it does today. As of now, we're still a go

Also flying SFO to SIN on 4/10 then to Manado 4/11. Everything I am reading says the cases in Singapore are increasing, but that Singapore is a model of how to handle the situation (i.e encouraging testing, reduced or no medical fees, some $ reimbursement) and people as a result are willing to get tested. Unlike say China... At any rate, I figure a lot is going to change in the next 8 weeks and whatever the situation is, it likely won't look like it does today. As of now, we're still a go

I fly March 26 from SFO to Singapore then Singapore to Sorong on March 30. I will let ya know how it all goes...I am not scheduled to return until early May so it will be interesting to see what develops in that time. I will be bringing my work computer just in case I get stuck somewhere and need to work remotely, whether that be from quarantine, canceled flights, etc. I have to admit I wouldn't be upset if I had to stay in Indonesia and dive for a while....Sorry, boss!

I am pretty committed at this point because I am in deep financially and the only way I am not going is if they canceled on me and/or a declaration is made by a government that entitles me to a full refund via my travel insurance because I somehow can't get there either by mode of transportation or I am not allowed to go given the restrictions.

Indeed. I am flying red-eye LHR to SIN April 5, then connecting to Manado April 6.
Return is April 20 Manado to SIN, and on to LAX.
Sounds like a lot of us with similar concerns......

What airline are you taking to Manado?

What did you guys think was wrong with the dive op?

Back
Top Bottom