Entry-level Computer with a depth alarm and conservative algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Cressi Leonardo defaults to recommending a deep stop if you come within 3 minutes of your NDL. I believe you can turn it off, but it doesn't lock you out if you just skip it. I like to keep a minimum 5 minute NDL buffer on my dives, so I'm not very familiar with the feature. I'm skeptical of its value, but the one time I incurred a deep stop, it cleared itself on the way up. I think most rec computers have the option of increased conservatism settings too; mine does.

I'm no expert, but I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of diving Nitrox on air settings if you feel like you need a depth alarm. You want to be really conscious of your depth if you're diving Nitrox at a site where the bottom is below your MOD. It's easy to miss an alarm, especially if you're wearing a hood, and the extra step of setting a depth alarm just adds more failure points in the process. I also really don't like lying to my computer. If I do get bent, or get some DCS-like symptoms that might be something else, I want an accurate record of what just happened. My personal preference for increasing conservatism is:
1) Just stay away from the NDLs. Decide to start your ascent while you still have 5 or 10 minutes remaining or whatever makes you feel comfortable.
1a) Instead of or in addition to the above, do a 5-minute instead of 3-minute safety stop, and take those last 5 meters to the surface as slowly as you possibly can.
2) Use a more conservative setting on your computer. Mine defaults to a "safety factor" of 0; you can increase it to 1 or 2.
3) Dive Nitrox on air setting. Honestly not sure why anyone with a Nitrox-capable computer would choose this instead of 1 or 2.

I think the Aqualung i100 will do what you want and is inexpensive. It has depth alarms, nitrox, and a "conservative factor" which you can check out in the manual. No need to screw around with diving nitrox on air. There is a table at the back of the manual showing exactly what the NDL times are for various depths. I was surprised to find that it's moderately more conservative than the PADI RDP table, even without conservatism turned on. My only caveat would be that a 1 button computer is kind of a pain. Everything consists of alternating short and long presses. Two buttons is much easier because then you have one button for changing settings and one for confirming them. Ideally you could try one out.

My Cressi Leonardo defaults to recommending a deep stop if you come within 3 minutes of your NDL.

It doesn't have depth alarm though. Personally I've only been on one dive where it might've been useful, but if OP wants it, the Leo is out.

Cressi Newton has all your desirable features and is not expensive dive computer. It has "deep stop" function which can be disabled. I have this computer myself and very happy with it.

It doesn't have depth alarm though. Personally I've only been on one dive where it might've been useful, but if OP wants it, the Leo is out.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't recommending the Leo, just clarifying that deep stops on rec computers are a thing, since some were asking if OP was doing deco. I don't necessarily think it's a good feature, but it's out there. I also still don't think diving Nitrox on air settings and setting a depth alarm makes sense, but you're right; if that's what OP wants, this is not the computer for them.

My first dive computer was Aqualung i300c. Two button menu, easy to use. It meets the requirements you specified. Long battery life and easy to change yourself if you are of mind to. It is a great entry level watch style computer and reasonable price.

Thank you so much for all the very helpful comments !
I´m buying the Suunto just for the sake of having all options but questioning the idea of nitrox on air setting now even more and going to ask this topic plus deep stop during the theory lessons.

I have the cr-4 and I like it.

If you want to learn more about deco and deep stop there are good videos (from DAN, BSAC, Dr Simon Mitchell...) on YouTube

I have a Suunto Zoop Novo and it has all the features you mentioned (i am not sure you can set up a deep stop alarm but im sure it will pop automatically if you breaches the ascent rate limit - 10m/min - or if the NDL).

I've found that Deep Stops aren't useful when you're diving in a group, like on holiday and led by a guide. Unless the guide has Deep Stops on and does them, you'll likely have to follow the group and not wait out a Deep Stop. Fortunately, you can have them on, skip them, and there's no computer lock-out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom