Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw man now I want to try the 3416s. How about warmth / thickness? And chart says Dexterity is a 1. ??? Will I like them over the 720s? I wear an 8 in the 720s with thick wool undergloves. I'm wondering if I'd need a 9 in the 3416s. Got any pics?

Where did you get yours from @MaxBottomtime ?

I got the new SHOWA 3416s loaded onto a set of Ultimas today. I won't get to dive them today, but here's some pictures. Boy are they sweet!

Especially loaded onto the rings, they seem remarkably 720-ish in terms of fit and style. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise... But the similarities are shocking, and it's a wonderful, wonderful thing.

They are slightly thicker than the 720s, and a lot stretchier... Kinda "gummy" by comparison of the 720s - which is a good thing. They are the easiest glove to load yet, save for latex/butyl rubber gloves - which aren't a player due to their fragility. These 3416s stretch and stretch and stretch and definitely make loading a super simple affair... Even easier than the 720s, which are easier than the PVC "smurf" gloves that everyone knows (660, 490 495, 620).

Good, good things to say about this new glove for sure!

I'll put a few dives on them in the morning and report back on their durability. According to the numbers, they should be more puncture and tear resistant than the 720s, and a whopping FIVE TIMES more cut resistant... Without losing any of that wonderful feel and function that the 720s are known for.

...And just check out all of that badass blackness... :D

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Oh... And I almost forgot... I did a leak test on my size 9 Ansell 58-735s that I wore yesterday... And they passed with flying colors. No leaks whatsoever, even though I was fairly rough with them while scraping barnacles off the bottom of a boat.

...Which tells me that indeed, the Ansell 58-735 is much more resistant to cut and puncture damage than the SHOWA 720s are.

I have left a size 10 Ansell 58-735 on one of my Ultima ring sets and have loaded the new SHOWA 3416 on the other. (also a size 10) and will compare the two back-to-back over the next dozen dives or so.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Aw man now I want to try the 3416s. How about warmth / thickness? And chart says Dexterity is a 1. ??? Will I like them over the 720s? I wear an 8 in the 720s with thick wool undergloves. I'm wondering if I'd need a 9 in the 3416s. Got any pics?

Here: https://www.magidglove.com/Showa-34...eyqD4lUbdN0CdVUxaWtjt12MvObRDS4xoC04UQAvD_BwE

I can't attest to the warmth yet, but I expect them to be about the same as the 720s... Which is a whole lot better than the butyl rubber and latex stuff that's out there.

Yes, they are slightly thicker than the 720s... It's barely noticeable if you're really concentrating on it. Not much difference... Largely due to the fact that they're stretchier than the 720s - which kinda negates the fact that they're thicker. For all practicality purposes, there isn't enough difference to notice.

I'd recommend sticking to a size 8 - even though they're snugger than the 720s, that additional stretch means that the glove will maintain comfort even though it's snugger.

Give that a shot and see what you think.

You know... It kills me that DUI owners aren't able to experiment with gloves like this. They're stuck with a $200 set of SHOWA 495s and can't choose anything else.

We spend $7-$15 and reload another set and give it a try. Ultimas rock.

I bought a single pair on Ebay. If I like them, and I likely will, I'll get a backup pair and get Nerry two pair as well.

Yes. Have you tested them? What'd you think?

WTH!! :D :D. :D

You know.... I bet I didn't get to try them because they were the wrong size for me.

I know I ordered additional samples in size 9 and 10 - not once but TWICE - but neither order was ever received and fulfilled... Which explains why I thought I'd tested them and included them on my chart, but when revisited my notes made no sense.

This is the first time I've had them on a set of rings; and although I've been aware of the glove, I've had a mistaken opinion of it for over a year.

Have you mounted them? Tried them? Any experience with them yet?

It seems that the gaunlet is stretchy and would be easy to mount.

But they are much too thick for my purpose. I could definitely see how they would work in your situation though. Without insulation and scraping barnacles, I would pick these as well. They are definitely the equivalent of work gloves and should do well.

For me, in cold water, with added insulation, the dexterity rules them out. I still need as much dexterity as i can get and stay warm as well. There are way too many clips, hoses, buttons on my rebreather for anything less.

Back
Top Bottom