Searching and Running a Line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I set my stuff next to a dehumidifier, just wanted to make sure.
mine goes in a box in the garage, it may or may not dry out in a month or two

A buddy and I did a similar project. We anchored to a bridge abutment, in our case, then picked a course and swam out, if we found nothing we would move over twice our search viz and start back.

Now if we found a substantial anchor point, we would tie off and use that as a start for our next search. We were trying to follow the debris line of things thrown off the bridge, eventually we had a line from one abutment to the other. Most of the work was from 70 - 130’. It took quite a while, sometimes you find nothing on a tank.

Making a map was necessary, as lines were broken, moved, or missing when someone fishing or dragging anchor snagged a line. It’s not as easy to find a spot in limited vis, even with a compass course

Posted too soon but what the hell

Silly questions, but is there any issues letting a reel dry rolled up? I don't want mold or fungus to grow inside it.

same as @rjack321 and I never unspool by reels or spools after cave diving either. That would be horrific!

same as @rjack321 and I never unspool by reels or spools after cave diving either. That would be horrific!

What about in salt?

A little OT but what about smb's? I usually lay mine out, but if I don't have to then forget it...

As far as the searching goes I'll just have to see what works. I don't think that circles would be an issue because there's no current, but no harm in trying. I like the spoke idea as well.

Thanks guys, I'm sure it'll be an S show but at least I'm on the right track...

What about in salt?

A little OT but what about smb's? I usually lay mine out, but if I don't have to then forget it...

As far as the searching goes I'll just have to see what works. I don't think that circles would be an issue because there's no current, but no harm in trying. I like the spoke idea as well.

Thanks guys, I'm sure it'll be an S show but at least I'm on the right track...

After salt water I'll soak my reels (and SMB/other smaller bits and pieces) in a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water, usually dumping the water at least once and refilling. Dont want the boltsnaps to get stuck. Dont worry about the line drying, it will eventually dry, mine have never molded or anything.

Circles work well, adjust the process to what you're looking for. Underwater lines can be fun to negotiate and add to over time. Hudson Grotto is just such a place, where most of the cool things have lines running to and from them. This is a good thing, because the heavy cover of silt makes the bottom pretty featureless otherwise. It's not overhead, so if you get confused, just make a free ascent.

I've tried a circle type search, that was way too difficult for me. I ended up laying out x feet of line, with rocks tied to the ends. Say the line is north-south. Start at the north end, search south. Move the south end x feet east, search back northish. Move the north end x feet east, search back southish. Yes it overlaps, after you do it you can figure out how to even out the coverage. I have no certifications in this, am I in trouble? Is this like giving medical advice without a license?

I have no certifications in this, am I in trouble? Is this like giving medical advice without a license?
Nope. There is no single right way in any of this. The only dictate is that you have fun and stay safe. After that, it's a jump ball. Do what feels right to you.

Nope. There is no single right way in any of this. The only dictate is that you have fun and stay safe. After that, it's a jump ball. Do what feels right to you.
Well, sort of. Some techniques do work better than others, depending on the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom