New diver needs advice (Apeks WTX, Hydros Pro, other...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I ended up ordering a Hydros pro...

the options for backplate + wing were interesting but I liked diving with the hydros pro and I didn’t have the possibility to try a backplate + wing locally. So I went for what I tried.

I hope it will arrive this week and I will give my impressions as soon as I go diving with it!

Awesome! I am leaning towards the Hydros Pro as well since I do not know much about the backplate system. Looking forward to your review.

I bought a Hydros Pro 1st generation 2.5 years ago and have over 300 dives on it. I use it for recreational diving, guiding and teaching as well so it gets a lot of use. After a year I had to have the shoulder strap hinges replaced due to failure (under warranty) and since no issues there. Also I am more careful how I pick it up since then and only use the handle, especially when connected to a tank.
I have just had an issue with the weight pockets failing (where the straps pass through and those are going to be replaced (alas not under warranty tho). Failure quite possibly due to "operator" error sometimes not removing weights before taking off, especially when in a rush after dealing with students, customers etc to get things finished up quickly before the next sessions. Lesson learnt! I don't need a lot of weight most of the time (max 6kg when using 5mm wetsuit and 2mm vest in winter season) and none during summer months when using a 2mm shorty.

I went a bit crazy when I first got it and liked the idea of add ons like the "ninja pocket" but that fell apart after 18 months. So got the "thigh pocket" but I'm not a fan and now use thigh pocket shorts to keep slates in, torch DSMB, reel etc, which are much better. I have the knife adaptor kit and a bungee cord adaptor fitted on the pockets.

I read on the forum issues re the HP but the first gen issues have been fixed with the 2nd gen to my understanding (shoulder strap failures, bungee cords moving-I've fixed that easily). I like the fact it is modular and the travel straps can be used, great if you don't need any weights, or just a bit in the trim pockets.
It dries very quickly, is very comfortable and does not move around, especially when in a thin shorty or just a rash vest.

I sometimes use a regular BCD from the dive centre when teaching Bubble Makers and DSD's and certainly find a difference in comfort, buoyancy and getting stuff out of the pockets is a pain!

If I were just a recreational diver I would transition from a standard BCD (if I had one) and go with a BP& wing set up for single tank diving, but since I instruct I need a more standard set up and the HP does the job, and gives me similarities of buoyancy as my twin tank BP & Wing.

Hope the above helps and Happy Diving.

Hi Chris,

thanks for the tips about the carrying and the weight pockets. I will definitely keep these in mind.

My Hydros pro just arrived today! I think I got the new version since I see plastic addons on the shoulder straps hinges.

Since I had the chance to dive with it before I knew how it looks but it is my first "own" BCD and I am really happy with it. It fits me really well (unlike the Seahawk 2 that I had to send back), I packed it easily in the provided backpack, and there is definitely enough room for a regulator, a mask and a dive computer. So I will definitely use it as a carry-on!

I have to wait till March 20 to try it in the Red Sea. It will be long...

Still happy to get the feedback from someone with the Apeks ultralight :wink:

I dive the Apeks Ultralight with a D18 in warm water, and it‘s a great setup for that (tiny, stremlined, very light when traveling). Not sure I would use it with weight pockets,though (I carry 2kg on a belt in 3 mm, 3-4 in 5 mm). With the weights you use, you may be better off with a D30, steel bp and pockets. I use that set-up when going dry, works very well. It‘s hard to imagine you‘d ever need more lift than a 30 wing for mono. You may be a bit overweighted- check out the buoyancy calculator on SB if you haven’t yet.

Hi CarstenS,
thanks a lot for the feedback on the Apeks setup! I ended up ordering the Hydros pro and I guess, if everything works fine, I will keep it for a while.

Until now, I guess I was always over-weighted :) I actually used the buoyancy spread-sheet, it's pretty cool!
The main reason I dived with 8kg is related to the fact that I am a beginner, so I tend to use more air than good divers and when I am around 70 bars with an aluminum tank it's sometimes hard for we to stay at 5m for the 3min safety stop. But, hopefully, as I progress I will be more efficient with air and overall need less weight!

It fits me really well (unlike the Seahawk 2 that I had to send back)

What size HP and what size SH2 did you get? My understanding from the other post, is that you had a M size SH2 but it was too big for you, did you get a M size HP or S size?

Hi CarstenS,
thanks a lot for the feedback on the Apeks setup! I ended up ordering the Hydros pro and I guess, if everything works fine, I will keep it for a while.

Until now, I guess I was always over-weighted :) I actually used the buoyancy spread-sheet, it's pretty cool!
The main reason I dived with 8kg is related to the fact that I am a beginner, so I tend to use more air than good divers and when I am around 70 bars with an aluminum tank it's sometimes hard for we to stay at 5m for the 3min safety stop. But, hopefully, as I progress I will be more efficient with air and overall need less weight!

Lead-wise, you should be able to do your stops with even less than 70 bars. My guess would be that you are not releasing enough air from your BCD. Air-consumption is not a factor.

I am also a beginner, with a high air consumption. 8kg are enough for me to stay at 3m, with 20 bar on an aluminium tank and a 8/7mm semi-drysuit (my weight/height is similar to yours).

What size HP and what size SH2 did you get? My understanding from the other post, is that you had a M size SH2 but it was too big for you, did you get a M size HP or S size?

Both M, that's the craziest thing! I am really always wearing M BCDs regardless of brand or models. I really don't know what's up with the SH2 but there was at least 10cm (4") too much on the waist...

Lead-wise, you should be able to do your stops with even less than 70 bars. My guess would be that you are not releasing enough air from your BCD. Air-consumption is not a factor.

I'm usually pretty careful with this but it is always possible. However, from discussions with other divers and various reading, it seems that the better you get at diving, the less weight you need. I hope it will be the case for me too :D

A bulletproof way to measure this is to jump into the water with only your suit, fins etc on and see how much lead you need in order to be balanced (ie, float with a medium breath, sink slightly when exhaling etc).

Then take a scale with a string on and weight your entire rig with 30 bar left in the tank and BCD fully deflated and see how much negative it is. Sustract that from your lead amound and presto! You have your weight dialed in perfectly :)

However, from discussions with other divers and various reading, it seems that the better you get at diving, the less weight you need

My understanding is that more weight than needed will make the whole process harder: you will need to inflate/deflate your BCD more when descending/ascending. Take this with a pinch of salt as my experience is limited.

Back
Top Bottom