Weight systems poll

In terms of your weight carrying preferences, what kind of diver are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle trim pouches, I have newer ones from a ranger that I’ll put on one day. I like these because they sit high on the belt and I attach them to the shoulder strap that goes to the “T” bars reall help with my leg heavy trim issue.
3C355731-DC03-439B-A44A-379A022D887C.jpeg
1DC5BB6C-4E71-4CDD-972D-F3D0EEEE09E4.jpeg

B741C14A-9703-4BDB-ACA6-F990836447E2.jpeg

I was taught with integrated, all my boat dives have been weight belts with rental BCD’s now I’m using my bp/w with trim pockets.

Learned on a belt (not sure Integrated was around back then), have used a pouch-style.

Due to back issues, added trim pockets to my tank strap.

I "voted" always a belt since the trims aren't ditchable.

I voted "I have used both weight belts and integrated weight pockets and I prefer BCD integrated pockets."

The only time I have ever used a weight belt was years ago down south (pre-certification) on DSD's. Then again years ago when I began my OW cert. I recall those buggers put about 18lb on me, lol.

I try and dive pretty balanced rigs although it's tough with full steel tanks in freshwater. I almost always dive SM and use 2 tanks.
- Icy cold fresh water, Trilam drysuit, 2 steel HP100, I need ~7lbs. I am significantly over weight for a while. The redundancy of the drysuit and BCD gives me a little peace of mind.
- Warm fresh water (caves), 2 AL 80, Full 3mm suit I need ~2lbs. Full ~5mm I need 5lbs.
- Warm salt water, 1 AL 80, full 3mm I need 9lbs

With the little amount of weight I typically need it's just easy to put it in the integrated spine pockets.
All above weightings provide me just enough ballast at reserve pressure for final stop depth.

I'm surprised at the results of the poll. I have never used a weight-integrated BC and I'm surprised those numbers are so small. I use no weight at all or non-ditchable weight, by design. I have several weight belts and if I'm doing something different, I can add a weight belt, which is a rare event these days.

However, I will say if I didn't have rigs customized for different types of dives, and specifically selecting gear to avoid wearing weight, I would be wearing a weight belt a lot more often.

This is how I dive without a weight belt:
Cave: double 104s, 60lbs wing, AL plate: no additional weight necessary with 104s diving wet or dry
Tech: double 80s, 40lbs wing,SS plate: no additional weight diving wet, 11lbs V-weight when diving dry
Rec: AL80, 30lbs wing, SS plate: no additional weight diving wet with reasonable water temps
Travel: AL80, 20lbs wing, Carbon plate, 6lbs in weight pockets (up to 8lbs in colder water)

This thread was inspired by the other thread on why people hate the weight belt. In order to get a general idea of peoples preferences I thought a poll would be useful. Feel free to expand your reply with a more detailed answer below. Thanks.

A Rocket Frogs DM in CR looked at my BH's pockets and said he loved them because "if I even need to help her ditch weight, with these I know I'll have no problem doing it". I think he's right: if you have to ditch somebody else's weight in a hurry, you can't beat quick release pockets.

Warm water and single tank - no weights (besides my backplate) or backplate weight system (non ditchable weight pockets on my back)
Dry Suit and twins - v weight and heavy backplate.

I’ve used both in the past and see advantages to each. I currently use a back inflate that doesn’t have integrated pouches so I’m using weight pockets on my belt and the trim pockets on my bcd, which I like better than either option. I didn’t see an choice that fit this, so I didn’t vote.

Erik

5 if diving backmount

Otherwise, sidemount CCR, it's a mix. Weight in the rig to balance out and be neutral with a 200g undergarment in fresh water. Add a weight belt when the 400g comes out, or salt water

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom