Returning to diving after a hiatus and cardiac procedure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news! Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
DDM

Went to rehab today and have been informed they intend to get a bit more aggressive on my workouts. I need to shave my chest, the leads are really hurting...

UPDATE:
Well, as you can imagine, things got a little weird in the middle of all this.
My cardio rehab was suspended for awhile.
I was supposed to get 36 sessions to be completed within six months of the procedure but with the suspension I only got about 15 sessions. I asked to extend to get the missing sessions but I had gone well beyond what they had considered recovered by the METS score. I am now down to about 188 pounds.

My son and I took the OW course together and just this weekend did our Open Water qualifying dives at Beaver Lake, Arkansas. I had no problem at all and my son was very comfortable by the second dive.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to advise and encourage me in this pursuit.

Best wishes to all,

Mudbug...

UPDATE:
Well, as you can imagine, things got a little weird in the middle of all this.
My cardio rehab was suspended for awhile.
I was supposed to get 36 sessions to be completed within six months of the procedure but with the suspension I only got about 15 sessions. I asked to extend to get the missing sessions but I had gone well beyond what they had considered recovered by the METS score. I am now down to about 188 pounds.

My son and I took the OW course together and just this weekend did our Open Water qualifying dives at Beaver Lake, Arkansas. I had no problem at all and my son was very comfortable by the second dive.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to advise and encourage me in this pursuit.

Best wishes to all,

Mudbug...

Very pleased for the both of you.

We're looking forward to seeing more of your posts in all areas of the board that interest you.

What a great outcome, and good for you for continuing on with your healthy lifestyle changes! Thanks for keeping us updated.

Best regards,
DDM

Son and I did our first dives together outside of class. We went to Lake Murray, Oklahoma. The best way to describe the visibility is "Too thick to drink, too thin to plow" but we had a great time. Vis was about 6 feet. No other divers were present.

MudBug, the best thing to happen to you was that you had no heart damage from a heart attack. That fact made your recovery and conditioning so much easier.

I was in a similar situation with a 100% blocked circumflex artery. A stent and stains have cleared things up and I've run several 10k's non stop and diving is just relaxing.

The biggest issue is people need understand that heart disease may not have the classic symptoms and to get checked and get a cardiac baseline. I'd bet there are allot of people out there, divers included, with these issues that have no idea.

Glad to hear about your outcome! If you get the chance to go to Venice Florida and do some sharks tooth dives you'll get nice easy dives and lost of time underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom