Diving without a depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom timers typically measure depth and time but don't track tissue loading, so need to be used in conjunction with tables, pre-cut dive schedules, or some variant of Ratio Deco.
Which is my point, a computer without depth info ...

Synchronicity at work again.
Just yesterday I was thinking of posting a similar question.
Recently gone AI, so my console is just permanently clipped off. My console includes a compass too, but so does my computer which I prefer. Now I'm thinking of changing to either just a SPG or a SPG/depth console, which I'm heavily leaning towards as at this time I think I would prefer to have the ability of being able to track my depth if my computer fails during a dive even though I would obviously be aborting. It just seems it would be easier/safer if I had it.
So, I was going to as for any recommendations for such a console. It would be nice if it has an easy way to be clipped off, since that's where it will live.
I have thought of just putting the Depth Gauge module (the puck itself) from a console into a pocket on my BCD.... no cluttery console, but have a depth guage available if my comp fails.

respectfully,
James

Well, I dive a lot of different combinations, but almost always in the Clackamas River with a max depth of 23 feet. So tracking depth and time are not that important, other than having a record of the dive. I dive a Suunto Cobra a lot, but also a SPG with a depth gauge on it. I almost always have my Seiko dive watch on my wrist too. Sometimes I simply dive a single stage double hose regulator with a J-valve too.

This late spring or summer we (some vintage divers) are planning a dive in Clear Lake, so my instrument choices will be more important. We will also be diving at altitude, so I'll have to check the procedures for diving at altitude with my Suunto Cobra, or do some real calculations as analog depth gauges are off at altitude (the pass is at 4000 feet, so I'll use that altitude for any calculations).

SeaRat

I mentioned that I also use analog gauges, watch and computer. But I don't take the computer for 30' dives--saves rinsing it. Those dives end when I get cold or bored.

I haven't used analog depth or pressure gauges in probably over 20 years now, all computers since mid 90's (started with the Delphi/Phoenix). I usually have two computers on me or three sometimes (testing or comparing).

I did lose a computer in Cocos back in the early 90's but I just finished the week on tables

And how did you handle the RN from your dives with the computer?

And how did you handle the RN from your dives with the computer?

As I recall, I started to surface from an afternoon dive and saw my computer (a Suunto ML I think) was no longer strapped to my wrist. I had just checked it and was well within NDL. Anyway, my next dive was 18 hours later (the next morning). I think I assigned myself to an "A" letter group to account for any RNT and went from there using tables. I seem to have survived. Then there was the time in Palau in 1981 we found ourselves at 220' on air with tables that only went to 190'. That required some mental gymnastic mathmatical extrapolations that resulted in a 30' first deco stop. But that is a different story for a different day. :)

I have a SPG, compass and PDC in my console. Also a capillary depth gage strapped onto my console for backup.
My console is a one look data center. On my left wrist is my dive watch because I wear it all the time in and out of water it also has a button compass on the strap for backup. For deep dives 100+FSW I add a second PDC to my left wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom