Snorkel: Required or dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always have a snorkel. In my pocket. I used it once, 10 years ago.

The type of diving I do requires one. I have a large bore flex end bare boned snorkel no purges, no top blocks, for long surface swims to the dive site. It is attached to my mask with a velco strap.

@BurhanMuntasser I think an important thing to distinguish though is what kind of snorkel to use. One of the monstrous things with a dry cap and long flappy hose to the mouthpiece with a huge purge valve? Debatably dangerous, needlessly expensive, and just plain annoying. Simple J or pocket snorkel? very different discussion.

@bvbellomo divers that get that hell bent about certain things like that are not the types of divers you should pay much attention to. I don't use a snorkel for 99.999% of my diving, but that's because it's nearly all cave and lakes/quarries where they serve quite literally 0 benefit. If I'm ocean diving though, I will usually bring a pocket snorkel because they are quite useful if you are stuck at the surface for any length of time. I don't really like having it on my mask in general, but I'm also diving a long hose where it is a problem if you are donating gas, or I'm diving a double hose regulator and it's just obnoxious with the double hose, hence in the pocket.

I don't understand their reasons.
They get in the way when donating the primary on a long hose. I always have one packed and have never taken it out. Perhaps if I get back to Palau some day and visit Jellyfish Lake I'll need it.

Most dives, my snorkel sits unused and unnoticed on the side of my mask. I had one experienced diver yell at me for taking it, saying it was not only unneeded, but dangerous since it could get in my way. I've had others tell me it is an important and required piece of safety equipment.

Not sure why others feel the need to share such strong opinions [...]

Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?

Law of triviality - Wikipedia

Bottom line is it doesn't matter much but lots of people feel qualified to have an opinion.

I almost always have a snorkel in my dive bag but don't ordinarily take it on dives. I use it for, well, snorkeling, in the many serendipitous situations where I have the opportunity/need to do so despite having planned a trip around scuba diving.

A fact to consider is that, the more you scuba dive, the more you realize just how much you can see snorkeling and freediving.

Safety wise it's a good thing to have if you're waiting a long time for a boat in heavy swell and it's a nuisance (albeit one that can be overcome with experience) when donating a long hose.

While a snorkel is a hindrance to long hose deployment—I think we are all forgetting one critical aspect:

planning the dive correctly. One should have enough gas before, during, and after the dive. Moreover, they should arrive at the surface with enough gas to inflate the BC to place the head above water and a regulator in their mouth to swim to the end destination or wait for pickup.

If divers are arriving at the surface with empty tanks, we have a failure of standards
issue—not a snorkel one.

They are good for surface swims, and I do surface swims, including when I boat dive. I like to watch for anything interesting under me, and have been rewarded on occasion.

When I plan on penetrating a wreck, or other extenuating circumstance I keep the snorkel under my BFK straps.

Although I recommend divers I buddy with use one, it really makes little difference to me what other divers use. Ones experience will help with the proper decision, over time.

It’s not like I’m selling snorkels for a living.

Mine is rolled up in my pocket just in case I need it..... so far I haven't.

planning the dive correctly. One should have enough gas before, during, and after the dive. Moreover, they should arrive at the surface with enough gas to inflate the BC to place the head above water and a regulator in their mouth to swim to the end destination or wait for pickup.

So one shouldn't plan for the worst? Do you use an alternate air source or a pony or an octo just because you are planning your dive "correctly" and won't have any need for contingency scuba on you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom