Snorkel: Required or dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never dive without a snorkel unless I am doing an overhead dive, wreck penetration, and even then I stow it in a pocket. I use it when on the surface all of the time. For me, it is required and I consider it one of the safety "tools" I carry on me while diving. I don't find it "annoying" or a cause of any discomfort or confusion. If the snorkel causes you to get confused with other piece of equipment, then you aren't proficient as you should be with the snorkel and the other piece of equipment's use. I know where my snorkel is and how to use and where my BC inflator is and how to use it.

They do not cause me confusion, besides being confused why some divers are so passionately against them.

They do not cause me confusion, besides being confused why some divers are so passionately against them.

I don't understand their reasons.

There are situations in which they are immensely helpful, and times they are a hinderance. If you are doing a surface swim they are important, when underwater they serve no purpose.

Think about your diving and what tools are helpful and when. My answer is that if I am Boat diving or in very calm conditions I don't wear one, but if doing more than a 25m surface-swim or there are rough conditions then I wear it. Even when I don’t have it on mask I keep it in my pocket so it is there if needed.

I don't use one. Some people may like them for a long surface swim, but I do surface swims on my back until I get close to where I'm going. Then I'm on my belly with a reg in my mouth.

If someone wants to discuss the pros and cons with me on a boat, fine. I don't care if they use one or not. If they want to argue about it and make like they are an oracle of truth and knowledge, I become, aah... less friendly.

My AOW instructor was adamant about keeping a snorkel with us when diving, and I’ve since followed suit. I do find it to be occasionally helpful when waiting on the surface if I don’t want to blow through my gas. But it is also mildly annoying underwater, and my snorkel is way too big for a pocket.

I’m curious about the folding snorkel tactic. Does it quickly connect to your mask? Does it flop around on the surface if it’s not connected? I feel like I need to see one in action to understand.

I’m curious about the folding snorkel tactic. Does it quickly connect to your mask? Does it flop around on the surface if it’s not connected? I feel like I need to see one in action to understand.
When deploying the foldable one i just shove it between mask band and head. As it is pretty flexible and "flat" it isn't uncofortable and holds in place by itself.
But there are also quick disconnect/connect snorkel clips available if prefered.

What do you mean with "flop arround if it's not connected"? If you mean "not in mouth": Not more as any other snorkel.

Do I dive with a snorkel: no.
Is it useful: no (just my opinion)
Should it be required: no
I dive with a LH. A snorkel would only sit in the way when deploying the LH.
When at the surface you can either swim on your back or breath from your primary.

Everyone's free to decide for themselves whether they make use of it or not.

Boat dive: dangerous.
Shore dive: required.

Not that strong of course, it really doesn’t matter, but you might as well carry one. I snorkel out from the shore until I can’t see the bottom, then dive. More comfortable and I often see cool stuff I would have missed swimming on my back. Often the ‘commute’ is the highlight of the whole dive! On a boat it’s sort of a waste of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom