Argon to BP mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As the water gets more brisk, I'll be going back to my argon bottle (and please don't tell me argon doesn't work - you'll spoil the placebo effect that is working in full force and making me think I'm warm :wink: ).
Anyway, I'm looking at doing a BP mount for my argon pony (13cf). After doing some searches, I found Uncle Pug's mounting system (here), which he designed with left over stuff from the floor of his pick-up.
Looks good. But, anyone have any other DIY, BP pony mounts?

I have a set of straps from Halcyon that lets me mount my argon bottle off the side of my doubles (would work on a single also) And I have a home made rig like UP's.
I prefer the home made rig.

I went the same route as pug... sort of. it's a 6 instead of a 13, but a loop of bungee fed through the hole with the knot holding it in place. A spare piece of webbing burned through with a soldering iron at the right place, and then I use a halcyon MC pack bolt to hold the webbing to the backplate [looks like the attachment has zip ties instead]. It stays put until I pop off the bottom bungee, then the tank slides right out.

Same here. Mine looks just like UP but 6cft. Works like a champ, simple, secure, and yes Argon does work.

V.

Spectre:
I went the same route as pug... sort of. it's a 6 instead of a 13, but a loop of bungee fed through the hole with the knot holding it in place. A spare piece of webbing burned through with a soldering iron at the right place, and then I use a halcyon MC pack bolt to hold the webbing to the backplate [looks like the attachment has zip ties instead]. It stays put until I pop off the bottom bungee, then the tank slides right out.

ok, just to make sure i understand. the bottom bungee is just a loop tied to the backplate, right? the bottle stays put based on its own weight. remove bungee, bottle falls. if thats it, i think i can make that. thanks.

FTR... my argon bottle is a 6cf luxfer aluminum and the attachment isn't my design... Andrew Georgitsis showed me how to do it.

And yes... the bungee is just a loop that has been made by tying a figure 8 knot. The loop is pushed through the approriate hole in the plate from behind and the figure 8 knot stops it. After sliding the bottle up into the webbing loop you put the bungee loop over the valve handle and first stage to keep it there. You can just put the loop over the valve handle and practice finding stuff later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom