Regulator Lifespan . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks 1st stage is Cr plated solid brass.
I believe the material is too soft to make 2nd stage.
Sorry for my ignorance. Is there any 2nd stage from brass?

Yes, ANY of the metal second stages from the 50s, 60s and 70S are chrome plated marine brass. Scubapro 109's and US Divers Conshelfs are prime examples. Dacor made some very good ones also. The better second stages made today still have chrome plated brass internal barrels. All of the double hose regs (with a couple notable exceptions) are chrome plated brass.

I believe the Scubapro A700 is all brass second stage. Brass depending upon alloy can be quite tough and is hard to beat as a regulator material in either stage but I have no issue with Delrin, fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) and Nylon 6 (66) and whatever that "plastic" (Polymer 2) is that all of the modern auto-pistols are made of or other engineering grade polymers. Good engineering is the right material in the right place and sometimes that right material is a polymer.

The lifespan of a regulator like a Conshelf is possibly longer than the lifespan of the human component. I think my USD Mistral is 1958(ish). I forget. That lifespan thing is catching up with me :(.

James

I have apparently hit the end of the service life for the old secondhand Cyklon 300 I started diving three years ago - according to the tech at the shop, the chrome on the second stage bodies has deteriorated to the point where galvanic corrosion is having its way with the internals, and it's either get the thing overhauled twice a year or put the old dog to rest.

That said, from what I've been told it's a 60s production example, so I think it had a decent run.

If I were building a regulator, I would source my polymer from Glock. I have seen glock frames put through some unbelievable stuff and survive. Like being ran over on the interstate by numerous vehicles, left for a year at the bottom of the flowing and sometimes angry New River. Not to mention worn on holsters and banged against doorways and car door entrances a dozen times a day. Tough stuff with good UV resistance.

Most of the old single hose regs are chrome plated forged brass.

My double hose is chrome plated brass also.

My 1956 Voit VR-1 Sportsman works just fine and I use it all the time. :)

8QqvWY.jpg

no reason a reg properly maintained wont last 20 years ,

My "newer" regs are nearly 20 years old... :popcorn:

I still use my original reg on my pony bottle. It was new in 1986.

Back
Top Bottom