I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't found more dive insurance yet (and haven't looked that hard to tell the truth). It may be that I stop diving come August 1 for a while.

@Peter Guy did you have any luck finding diving insurance? Any news from DAN regarding offering a policy that will work for you?

I'm in Canada, so to begin with the laws in the states are very different. However when I looked into the insurance that comes with my credit card, fully expecting diving to be excluded as a "dangerous sport", I was surprised to find that in that clause, diving was excluded, but except when diving within the certifications from a recognized agency or something to that effect. I called the underwriter up, and sure enough as long as I'm within my Padi certification limits, I am technically covered by my card.
Now as many have mentionned, it's all great until you're trying to actually claim, so I do have DAN insurance for simplicity and clarity; but if DAN is not insuring someone over 70 right now, that may be something to look into in terms of getting basic coverage.

Updated information in the most recent Undercurrent. Not sure how, or even whether, I can post a copy of the article here, but in it, a representative of DAN says: "It is true we are working with our underwriters to change the program to support those over 70."

Surely DAN watches ScubaBoard. It would be nice for them to respond here on any progress.

Seems they've been working on it for a good while now.
I've just grandfathered off DAN.
Dive Assure won't cover the USA. Argh, what to do?

Seems they've been working on it for a good while now.
I've just grandfathered off DAN.
Dive Assure won't cover the USA. Argh, what to do?
Emigrate to Europe? Perhaps in a country with excellent health system, substially free for everyone, and completely free emergency services?

Emigrate to Europe? Perhaps in a country with excellent health system, substially free for everyone, and completely free emergency services?
Are you saying that European health care will cover your costs like DAN would if you have a diving-related incident anywhere in the world?

Which PART of DAN? I don't think you can get chamber coverage anymore after 71.
Washington State insurance laws are the problem. Not other states.

I just renewed with DAN. I am 74. I live in NC.

And therein lies the confusion. Peter Guy (the OP) is from Washington (state), I live in Texas.

DAN automatically renewed my annual coverage in November, even though it is clear from my DAN registration that I will turn 70 in March.

I went to the DAN website today and looked at coverage available in either Washington or Texas. There is only one policy available in Washington (Guardian), there are three policies available in Texas (Standard, Master, and Preferred). We have Preferred.

Guardian is both more expensive and more robust in terms of coverage. Preferred is less expensive, and has lower coverage limits than the Guardian.

However, having downloaded and studied the DAN Handbooks for both policies, neither one indicates an age limitation to coverage, but there is a disclaimer that the handbook is only a summary, and that the true policy conditions prevail. I cannot find a copy of the policy on the DAN website.

I have submitted the question directly to DAN, and hope to get a response. My primary concern is that I have a dive trip planned for May, and if the policy (not the handbook) indicate that I am not covered, I need to make some other accommodation.

My other concern is that DAN automatically renewed my policy, knowing that information in my profile shows that I would be in violation of their terms of service within the period of time covered by the renewal.

As I pointed out in my posting from earlier today, surely DAN monitors ScubaBoard, and should offer an explanation to a forum that represents a large diving population.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom