Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I travel to dive and on many of the charter boats I use in Florida, the selection of weights, is well, lousy. Some boats just have a hodgepodge of weights with slots for a belt, weights with no slots, or sea pearl style bags of lead BBs.

Also, ever gear up and forgot to put your weight belt on and then jump in the water? I almost did once.

I totally agree with your preference for weight belts. That is the only configuration I use and all the weight I wear would be back plate and weight belt. Your post makes it seem like you believe that weight that goes into a weight integrated BCD is not ditch able? Those pockets can can be pulled out and dropped but I still prefer weight belt.

Having been initially certified using a belt (1985-86), I've actually never used a weight-integrated BCD. My concern, and arguably unsubstantiated, with pockets is having to reach to my sides to fumble with each latching mechanism (and yes, I realize most are velcro) where with my belt, all I have to do is reach down to my waist and find one buckle.

On the other hand, my wife (dive buddy) has never used anything other than an integrated BCD, and she is just fine with it.

I'm figuring to each their own.

It makes a big difference where you are diving and how much weight you require. I dive a Zeagle Stiletto, so don't have to deal with the proprietary weight pockets that are often overloaded and lost. Most of my diving so far has been travel based in the Caribbean, as such I only need 8-10 lbs with my 3mm. Usually have 2x twos in the trim and 2x twos/threes in the ripcord pockets. No need to use a weight belt, as its not the most comfortable with my slim body type.

I really hate trying to fin with a weight belt around my ankles.

You are doing somethihg wrong.

It's usually the unplanned scenarios (like actually having to take our BC off) that get us in trouble. Like @AfterDark I had an entanglement on my doubles manifold in a wreck @170'. Fortunately, I was able to reach back and unhook the piece of metal, but one of my scenarios I went through in my head after I realized I was snagged was to take my BC off if I had to to unhook myself. After doing something similar with a jacket style and everything in the integrated pockets during training, and realizing how awkward it was to try and hang onto my BC, let alone what would happen if I lost hold of it, I would never dive without some weight staying with me whether it be web belt, rubber or harness.

+1 I have a belt, a SS B/P, and weights in the pockets on my harness. Putting all one's weight in one basket is a bad idea IMO.

I haven’t had the chance to try a rubber belt yet. Only the webbing style. Everyone swears by rubber
Rubber is the only way to go as it will prevent the belt from slipping and is very easy to ditch. When I first started diving my shop sold me tank trim pockets and harness pockets, then on a commercial spearfishing boat I saw the light, switched and wouldn't consider anything else.

I didn't see any other women responding, so ... I don't like a weight belt because the weight sits on top of my hips and is uncomfortable. Granted, it's been a few years and I don't need so much lead to sink now, so it might not be a big deal anymore. I dive a Zeagle Zena with the pouches that have handles, and I love being able to hand the pouches up to the boat when I'm getting out of the water.

We often hear that weight belts will fall off, slip down, hurt the low back and need to be adjusted at depth if diving with a thick wetsuit.

A few people have mentioned elastic rubber belts which address many of these valid complaints.

Wearing 25 or 35 lbs of lead on any belt may not be comfortable. However, many people find a "freedive type" belt very comfortable for a moderate amount of lead - maybe 16 lbs or so.

If a person has only tried a (non-elastic) nylon belt or a pocket belt using shot weights, they might be very surprised about how different a freedive belt feels. As has been mentioned, the rubber belt stays put, has some automatic depth compensation capacity and it can be worn DIFFERENTLY than a scuba belt.

In my experience wearing a lot of lead on a belt that runs across the small of your back can quickly become tiring and uncomfortable. A freedive belt can (and probably should) be worn considerably lower on the hips. The belt is NOT worn across the low back normally, but is draped across the butt. This position tends to reduce back strain and allows the belt to be worn in a variety of positions and it also avoids constraining natural breathing.

This video, which is obviously directed toward freedivers, shows the typical location of the belt which is much lower than "normal". A nylon belt would just slide off in this position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom