Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don’t understand the hatred towards weightbelts.
Maybe I’m old school, but I’ve always been a believer in using a weightbelt to split up my weights between the rig and my body. It allows me to use a smaller wing on my rig for better streamlining, it allows me to remove my rig underwater if the need ever arises, it gives me an option to ditch some lead in the event that I need to bail out of a situation.
When I saw the first BC’s coming out with integrated weight pockets I thought it was a bad idea. Even during my tech diving days we wore weightbelts with two buckles. Phil Sammet was always a big advocate of weightbelts.
Now with this new craze to have all weights non ditchable is mind boggling to me, I honestly don’t get the rationale. I think it’s bad enough that industry has made it where you are supposed to stuff all your weight onto/into a BC rig, but to not have anything ditchable just seems like insanity to me.
I can see putting some weight on the rig to relieve the need for a giant weightbelt, but still having some weight to ditch just seems like a great idea and provides a margin of safety.
What’s wrong with using rubber freediving belts?
They are comfortable, they don’t slip, they’re great.

Please help me understand when and how this new trend started and how long it’s supposed to last.

I have a vested interest in this phenomenon, otherwise I could care less what people do.

Is your question really about ditchable weights rather than about weight belts? You seem to equate the two, but I would not. I for one don't agree with or understand the philosophy that espouses no ditchable weights, but I for dang sure am a fan of weight integrated over a weight belt. (No, I don't dive a b/p/w)

I’ve tried a weight belt and am okay with one, but I think a lot of OW classes use a pool for part of the training and the pool isn’t too keen on having hard weights dropped on deck or onto the pool bottom. Also, the rental BCs around here are higher level than the base model with integrated weight pockets. Body shape also influences the comfort level of a belt.

I can only speak for myself, and my comments will probably lead to a bunch of people telling me I'm doing it wrong. Which, if they're constructive criticisms, is fine. But I've mostly dived with integrated weights because I was taught that way, and because it's convenient. If all the weight is on the kit, it's one less thing to put on and take off, which is nice for repetitive dives. I dive with a steel backplate and weighted STA, which leaves only 4 lbs. of lead in my pockets in a wetsuit. However, I took the weight out of the STA before my trip and didn't get around to putting it back in before my drysuit class right after I got back, so I needed a belt because there wasn't enough room in my pockets for all the weight I now needed. I found it kind of awkward trying to get the belt where the weights wouldn't dig into me or get in the way of my harness straps. Now that the weight is back on the STA, I can fit enough weight in my pockets again even with my drysuit. I have a buddy who's a vocal advocate of weight harnesses separate from kit, especially for solo diving, so that you can remove your kit without corking, and I definitely see his point. I just have to figure out how to make that work comfortably for me.

I'm the opposite, after taking cavern in my hydros with the travel belt attached I have not ever put the weight pouches back on. I added 3 drings on each side of the travel belt with some being really far towards my back. This allows me to clip things off without anything dangling below my body. Once I went this route and fine tuned it, I can't go back. I get teased alot about using a weight belt by our local divers but I don't care.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I have no ass and a big belly, and it slides down to my crotch strap and makes it hard to climb the ladder after a dive.

To say nothing when I’m in a drysuit.

I have no hips.... Hated weight belts (a necessary evil here in the Great Lakes), and became really happy when I ditched my BC or a BP/W. Did use a weight harness for a bit, but once I found a 16# plate, life became really good.

I have nothing against a weight belt. I did my OW training with a belt. When I bought my first BCD it was weight integrated with front ditchable weights pockets and tank band trim pockets. I love it. I could certainly go back to a belt if need be, but I see no point in it at this tme.

I was taught with an integrated bc and used those exclusive for a while. Finally got to try a belt on a rented dive trip. Just wasn’t a fan. Felt awkward the whole time with the weight on my waist. Now with the BP/w in warm water I only need weight in my trim pockets. Feels a lot more streamlined.

I dislike weight belts. But a weight harness is a good thing. It carries the weight on your shoulders. I can keep myself fairly neutral and my rig fairly neutral.

I use an old DUI weight harness which works well enough. You can ditch half or all of the lead if you needed to do so. Although I’ve only even come close to doing that one time.

I would also say that i often notice a difference in attitude on this between people who function primarily in caves vs people who function primarily in the oceans.

Back
Top Bottom